Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on running this again. Last did it about 5years ago. Hardly ran since. Now 33 and boy is it hard getting back into things. Anyway I'm looking at getting one of those garmin things cos they look like fun.

Anyway Snowdonia Marathon I have heard that it is the hardest in Europe.

Anyone from here thinking of doing it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Snowdons the BEST

Having moved to North Wales in 1999 from Cardiff I soon joined Eyrir Harriers and North Wales Road Runners.

I chose the Eryri Marathon as my first attempt at the distance and was given the number 108 back in 1995. I have run every race since even the cancelled 2002 race with around 200 others.

I have had the same number every year and my best time is 3.21.54.

I ran London in 2001 and hated every minute of it, far too noisy, far too crowded, and far too many people chasing the same water bottles.

I was so fased out by the race that i couldn't remember seeing any of the sights, the busiest race i had previously been in was the Lake Vernwy Half Marathon so you can imagine how scared i was with over a million sreaming people.

I have the opportunity to take part in London every year but once was enough.

Back to the Snowdon Marathon, which is more low key and easier than London because you change pace quite frequently and not attempt to run mile after mile on a flat course.

I ran a disappointing 3.16.11 at London falling completely apart at 19miles completely dehydrated when the sun came out.

My friends in Eryri include 1991 Snowdon Marathon winner Emlyn Roberts and the quiet Iorwerth Roberts who does not have to pay to enter because he has run every Snowdon from the begining.

Snowdon is so low key that you can enjoy the race without the noise and interference of onlookers. It is the only Marathon i now compete in simply because it poses a serious challenge however well trained or under trained you are.

ANYBODY READING THIS SHOULD FORGET TRYING TO GET INTO LONDON FOR THE GOODNESS KNOWS HOW MANY TIMES AND GIVE SNOWDON A GO. YOU ARE ALWAYS GUARANTEED TO GET IN AND COMPLETING EUROPES HARDEST ROAD MARATHON IA AN ACHIEVMENT IN ITSELF.

Everybody asks " Have you done the London Marathon" assuming its the only marathon there is. When i tell them i have run the last 10 Snowdons they ask me" how far is the race" assuming it is less than the full 26miles.

London should look at the Boston Marathon for its future. Put qualifying times for entry, if you cannot run under 3.30 you will not get in. The race like the Great North Run has become one big fun run, even the elite runners donot attempt to race the distance.

Gabresallassies finishing time was insulting to his profession, he didnot try, one moment he was on World Record Pace the next he was nowhere.

The runners who should be commended for their efforts should be Kallid kannouchi and Olympic Champion Stephano Baldini, look at their finishing times and places in the race.

Kannouchi looked dead and buried at 15miles but got back to a field that decided to slow down and give up, he beat vertually every other runner.

What happened to previous race winner El Mouases, he didnot feature atall, donot say that he didnot train for the race, he obviously did but is mind was on other things.

I remember reading an article written by the great Welshman Steve Jones. He always raced the distance forgeting who was running alongside him. These elite runners know what they are capeable of, go out and do it not just turn up for their handsome appearence fees. Gabresallasie had set two World Records only a few weeks apart at Half Marathon distance and at 25k distance. He was in awsome shape for London but he jogged home in 2.10, David Bedford tear up his appearence cheque and say "If you cannot bother to make an effort then you donot get paid"

Steve Jones time of 2.7.14 still stands as the best time by any British athlete for the distance, nobody appears to be getting anywhere near that standard in this country anymore. Paula Radcliffe should be an example to every runner in this country, SHE races the Marathon distance and who knows she will prabably approach the 2.10 mark.

Only the other year in London Paula was the first Britain home (man or woman) that shows how poor marathon running has become in Britain.

Must check out now but before i go Give SNOWDON a go its a cracking RACE.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've just entered this for this year 2008, that was without reading this thread and reading the words "Europe's hardest marathon"

Is it really that hard, I only entered because it's near where my Mum lives so I can visit at the same time:embarrassed:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Mike, yes im thinking of doing it, however that hardest in Europe thing is abit scary!I know a guy who did it last year, he said it was tough but amazing scenary and well worth the effort!Im running Berlin the end of Sept so if im un-injured i think ill go for it too!then rest over christmas and binge eat haha

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I've run this 3 times now and can vouch for it being a truly memorable experience. The weather is generally atrocious, but the views spectacular. I always take my family and we make a weekend of it, stopping in one of the nearby hotels.

Basically, you start with a 3 1/2 mile climb to Pen-y-Gwryd and it's best not to push too hard or you will blow out before you've even got started. At the top of this point, the views down the valley are fantastic and you can enjoy 8 miles virtually all downhill - sheep in the road, waterfalls cascading down the mountain forming streams across the roads, etc., it's brilliant. At this point you turn at a lovely Welsh town/village called Beddgelert, where you get some encouraging support. Then it's fairly flat until around 21-22 miles, although the views of the mountains and the lakes will take your breath away. The next 2 miles are a killer, there's no getting away from it, but then you're close to the end and so who cares. Most walk this part. Again, gorgeous views as you climb to the summit of this point, but then you look back down to the finish line in LLanberis and it's a rapid descent down into the town !

I've run London 7 times, but Snowdon is soooooooo much more rewarding. Even talking about it brings on those pangs and I'm thinking of doing it again this year now (I try to do it every 2 or 3 years).

My fastest marathon time for Snowdon has been 3-45 and this compares to my London time in the same year of about 3-30, so it's not that much slower. You can certainly make up a lot of time from miles 4 to 12, as long as you haven't overdone it in the first 4.

For anybody thinking of doing it, you should if even once. Don't be frightened of the title "toughest marathon in Europe", they're all tough and you pace yourself accordingly. It's a very proud one to have on your cv !!!
Kevin

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was looking at Snowdonia as my first marathon. Despite what you say I'm not sure it's right for a first ever marathon - I'm struggling to think where I can find hills that I could train on :huh:

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Maybe one day - I prefer to go walking in Snowdonia, but if I were to choose to do a Marathon at some point (by no means certain!) that would be the kind of thing I might do over the London thing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Snowdonia sounds like an amazing experience.:)

Did you need to put in alot of specific hill work before tackling it the first time? ie: what kind of special training should you do before-hand?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just sent my entry off for the 2009 event today. My first marathon.

Done 1700 feet of ascent today - the training's started allready!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Just sent my entry off for the 2009 event today. My first marathon.

Done 1700 feet of ascent today - the training's started allready!
WOW - thats some hill training session (I do love hills......but!!)

I complete agree with Llandudnoboy - I hate running in crowds and much prefer the fresh country air - like I am running my own race with no distractions! Its part of the beauty of running to me, not the 'event' but the beauty of the scenery and how you can see so much if you can keep going! I didn't enjoy the Birmingham Half Marathon as much as I have enjoyed some of the hillier, lesser known races (The Devil's Chimney Chase in Cheltenham for example - not quite Snowdon but felt like it after only running a few months!!) I hate the whole queuing for portaloos, banners and crowds of people when you don't recognise anyone - I much prefer the local support you get when you run through little villages that really love these events, and brings some tourism to their areas too! I thoroughly recommend Snowdon - its a beautiful place, and a fantastic race. This has actually made me realise the sort of running I enjoy - I think London is more about proving something to other people (unless you love London) - and running is more of a personal thing for me.

I haven't and probably could never be able to do this - but I have supported others doing it and REALLY loved the course/local vibe.... maybe after a few more hills;)

·
Registered
3,658 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
They might have change the course since I ran it last, but there used to be a tough ascent at about 21 miles which was a surprise. Going down the pass from the Victoria hotel was good though. When I got to the 21 mile point I was dreading the ascent and some aging scots bloke can running along and said ... come on sonny ... its only a little hill ... and he promptly shot up the hill like a gazelle. Coming down the other side was a laugh though ... loose gravel but its a great race if you a lucky with the weather. It can be pretty grim. Then again not as bad as the Faroe islands marathon now that was horrendous weather :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts