Runners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question I’d not just asked myself but been asked by many people once I’d told them I’d entered my first ultra marathon. I answer with a similar response each time, ‘let’s hope I do’ or ‘I’ll finish if there’s a beer at the end for me’. I’m usually met with a similar laughing reply but I always end up thinking to myself ‘can i actually do it?’
A little background information; I’m not a long distance runner, the longest I’ve done is 13 miles. I live in a fairly flat area surrounded by country lanes and canals. I run 3-4 times a week and I work full time for the NHS. So as I sit here now I am genuinely wondering if I will be able to complete a 50 mile ultra trail race!
I guess this is part of the reason for starting the blog… maybe if I write about it I’ll be more inclined the get my arse in gear and actually plan for it.
Well I’ve done some planning if you can call it that I’ve bought some new trainers. Now I’m aware I’ll probably go through 2-3 more pairs before the actual race but I guess we are moving in the right direction actually having them. I was also convinced to buy some of those strange toe socks which I think might actually take me longer to get on than it will to finish the race but i read on a forum they are all the rage so in for a penny I’ve got some.
So as it stands now I can run 13 flat miles, I’ve no idea about navigation or nutrition as I mainly fuel myself on cadburys dairy milk but this may give someone out there a bit of a laugh as I prepare for the race. So with 291 days to go, how hard can it be?
So anyway if there’s any hints or tops out there I’m ready to hear them…

·
4,423 Posts
With an ultra you will need to get your pacing right. Nutrition, go with tried and tested stuff, practice different strategies on training runs. Don't leave anything to chance on the day. Have a plan and a plan 'B' and even a plan 'C'.
Good luck with it, it is definitely doable, enjoy the journey.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Double 5 has come up with some good pointers there.

What is the ultra you are doing?

There are so many things in the mix that you need to sort out and figure out how to handle. Your body can handle a lot but it does need training up, at least you have the best part of a year.

I found the following books handy when I started training and still look at then every now and then.
Relentless Forward Progress by Bryon Powell
field guide to ultrarunning by Hal Koerner.

They give a lot of good insights into everything from nutrition right through to the recovery and strength training.

G

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts