Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in year 3 of a 3 and a half build up the the Comrades, which I intend on running in June 2007... 54 miles over hilly terrain in the heat of South Africe...sounds fantastic huh!

Year 1 (2004) was my first attempt at an ultra.. The Dartmoor Discovery. 32 miles of hills in Dartmoor. I finished in 6.11

Year 2 (2005) was Dartmoor Discovery again, which I finished in 5.35 winning 1st LV40. Six week later I ran the 50 Challenge in Kent, which is actually 52.4 miles (back to back marathons). It was a really hot summers day and I finished this event in 10.15, winning 1st Lady.

So I now have experience of the hills (Dartmoor) and the distance and heat (Kent). My next stage is the full distance over hills, or as near as I can get it. So this year, as well as doing Dartmoor again (going for sub 5.30) and 50 Challenge (going for sub 10 hours), I hope to do London to Brighton (if it's on, because the race is in doubt at the moment). This will give me the distance over hills, but almost definitely not the heat... I could run with lots of layers on I guess....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Impressive. Only been running 6 months so Comrades is out of my reach at the moment... Don't you have to qualify as well?

However I'm looking at the Thames Meander 54 and/or Kent 50 Challenge for 2007/2008. But slightly scared about the commitment to training needed (time-wise, not effort-wise). I'm discovering that even just training for a marathon takes a lot of time, so at the moment I'm having trouble figuring out how I'll be able to fit in training for an ultra...

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My marathon pb is 3.40 so I easily qualify for Comrades.

Training for an ultra can be done alongside marathon training... that's what I do. I run about 5 marathons a year and use a couple of them as training runs, maybe adding a couple of miles before the race. I haven't ever 'trained' further than 28 miles.

But its also all the more important with ultras to get the nutrition right and the correct amount of rest in your schedule.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm going to do Dartmoor too Trin :)

and I'll be at the Kent 50 Challenge but really don't expect to run further than 26.2 miles . .

one Ultra's enough for me :asleep:

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I saw the title of this thread I knew who would have started it. <G>.

anyway, I foolishly managed to get persuaded to run Dartmoor Discovery this year. So, this year I have also planned to run my first marathon (about a month before Dartmoor) and I have just completed my first 20Mile for which my legs no longer work :(

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
steepler said:
Thankfully id didn't go off!
It would have been carnage otherwise as it was near a relay change over.

Well, I guess it might have helped them to run a bit faster... away from the device in case it went off I mean. Must have been a bit scary though, HRM would have been up I expect!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm hoping to do Glenrothes 50K and Boddington 50K. After that maybe Bullock Smithy (56ish LDWA event in the Peak District) or High Peak 40 challenge or London Brighton or something else daft.

·
Registered
2 Posts
the High Peak 40 Challenge is my aim for this year, too. I am trying to put in a few marathons before.
Could Anybody point in the right direction with regards to running 24 hour races ? I don't mean "when and where", I mean "Nutrition, Pacing, Gear, etc" ???
My aim is to run a 24 hours race in September 2007 and I would like to reach 100 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone,
just to let those of you who are considering doing Comrades 2007 or 2008 that Team COCO (the charity running club founded by Steve Cram) will be arranging our usual trip out there. Team COCO has had members in the contacts for at least the past 5 years and last year we had a Team of over 20 runners from the UK. Next year we will be offering an all inclusive package for runners from the UK who want to take part in comrades and raise desperately needed money for local projects near the race route (we're hoping to persuade Steve to do it as well!). If you're interested please feel free to get in touch.
Dan (0191 261 7427)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm another newbie - just got into marathon running this year and on my 3rd already.....I go slow enough that it doesn't hurt too much! I'd love to do an ultra next year but have no idea where to start and don't know anyone who wants to go beyond the marathon......any advice welcomed!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have entered the Tring to Town 2 45 miles along the canal 10th Feb 2007. As to training I was going to continue with my marathon training but add a 15 miler on the Saturday and on the Sunday run 20 miles along the South Downs Way with a light pack to built strength and get used to running with a pack/hydration system. As this is my first Ultra not really sure what training is required . . . so any advice welcome . . .

·
Registered
8 Posts
tring2town

am running the tring 2 town (london) 48 miles i think,does anyone have experiance of this particular race?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
dazzyb said:
am running the tring 2 town (london) 48 miles i think,does anyone have experiance of this particular race?
hi dazzy.. i did it earlier this year.
not really any major complaints, a nice day out.

there were a wodge of reports in issue2 here.

hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts