Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

New to running, reasonably fit but Have a sole of foot problem.
When I get to the 10k mark the soles of my feet go numb, this problem has occured with the two types of shoes I have used. Shoes have been properly fitted running shop in Edinburgh.

The sensation is numbness, with a slight pins and needles sensation. If I stop running, the soles recover in 5-10 mins but return within 2k of resuming running. It isn't pain, and I have tried to run through it but the numbness continues.

Any ideas... solutions? Much appreciated.

Newbie, so may have been covered, link to topic would be appreciated.

Thanks to all for taking the time to read the thread.

Kevin

·
Registered
9 Posts
foot numbness

hi kevin,if the numbness/tingling is mostly in the front of the foot/toes its possibile its metatarsalgia(sometimes also referred to as Mortons metatarsalgia);dont worry! its not that bad and is due to a nerve being squeezed by the foot bones(metatarsals); the cause is often due to a collapse of the transverse arch(one that goes from big to little toe) and the answer maybe a support to maintain this arch and a metatarsal pad can be got from larger chemists; if this isnt the case and the numbness extends over all the sole then there are nerves further back in the heel that maybe irritated when you run,but a couple of sessions(at the most) with a podiatrist/sports physiotherapist should sort it

hope this is of help, Dave

·
Registered
244 Posts
I used to get this when I first started running too. I just put it down to not being used to running certain distances and pushing myself further (as it was always after a certain distance and wasn't constant).

It's something that just really cleared up and went with me. Perhaps it'll be the same for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts