Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I feel as though i am going backwards! i started running in February for the first time ever, started outdooors 10 mins in the morning and 10 minutes at night 5 - 7 days per week. Built upto approx 2 miles am and 2 miles pm then did some treadmill work and managed both treadmill and out door 3 miles but approximately 3 - 5 times a week just one in a day with no problems. Now for the last 3 weeks (since my race for life) my right upper thigh is hurting so much that when i walk and put weight on it its really painful when its lifted off the floor its fine. When i run it doesn't feel as painful as walking and at the moment my new schedule is mon, wed, fri night 3 miles on treadmil and tuesday thursday out door run 1-2 miles then depending how i feel one out door run at the weekend and 1 day rest. I have tried resting for a couple of days and it feels fine and then as soon as i start running it's back!! so as i am still very new to running any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Forest

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
The chances are that your muscles are still adapting to the stresses and strains of running. It probably won't feel as painful when running compared to when you're walking, because as you run your muscles will loosen up, hence the pain easing, whereas as you cool down, the muscles tighten again, emphasising any niggles/aches.

You have two choices really, either carry and accept the discomfort - the body will adapt over time. Or alternatively ease off the training for a while and accept that the body is going to take some time to adapt properly.

A thorough warm-up and cool-down regime will help prevent muscle aches and pains too :) I hope that helps a little, even if it's not the definitive answer you'd hoped for!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, i think i was hoping for the grin and bare it option as i really don't want to stop and i know that if i stop for to long i'll find it too hard to get back into a routine. so thanks for your advise i'll grit my teeth and get out there tonight and so nice in the sunshine too.

Thanks again

Forest

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
This happened to me when I first started running, although it was hip pain rather than thigh pain. I tried to run through it and made it worse, which laid me off for a good month.

I would carry on if you must - but be very careful! I thought my niggle wasn't that bad, so I tried a 10k session on it, didn't feel a thing - and could barely walk a few hours later! Only you can judge it really - perhaps add some extra rest time, and don't up the mileage for sure just yet? Am not all that knowledgeable but just my 2p worth :confused:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, i hear what you're saying i think i might lower the distance a bit each time and perhaps rest over the weekend. As with your experience roadrunner rob i don't want to make it worse and i guess i'll do what i have read on here a thousand times "listen to your body"

Thanks again

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Listen to your body is good advise. It knows best.

Personally I wouldn't stop. Just run slower or less distance to let your body catch up with your enthusiasm. Once things are good increase again a bit at a time.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
The body doesn't always know best. In fact the body can be a bl**dy liar a lot of the time.:evil: It tells you you're tired or in pain so that you will let it stay at home in bed instead of taking it out running in the rain and the cold.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your advice, i went out last night made sure i did some good warm up stretches first ran for about a mile and a half and was really hurting then had a good walk for probably a mile to cool down and i must say it actually felt easier last night and a bit easier today. Going to the gym tonight and see how i get on on the treadmill but will make sure i do a good warm up and cool down again as i think my problem maybe that i ahven't been dong enough of this before and after running.

thanks again everyone

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
if it's really hurting then you certainly won't be doing it any good by running on it... there's a big difference (in my opinion) between discomfort and pain. :worried:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'll see how it feels after a warm up tonight, it certainly does feel better today and a bit easier than it has done previously but i wont push it if it does hurt i'll just have a nice walk and see how it is.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
if it's really hurting then you certainly won't be doing it any good by running on it... there's a big difference (in my opinion) between discomfort and pain. :worried:
Very true - that's one thing I am learning to distinguish better - feeling sore form a hard run is not the same as having done some damage and I think as you get more experience you become more aware of the signals your body sends and how to interpret it.

So Forest, in a way you are lucky this has happened, as it was bound to happen sooner or later - from the posts I read and my own experience it looks like experiencing this, learning how to interpret it, deal with it and progress from it, are just natural stages on most runner's learning curves - so next time round you'll have more experience of it, and have a better idea of what to do!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Very true - that's one thing I am learning to distinguish better - feeling sore form a hard run is not the same as having done some damage and I think as you get more experience you become more aware of the signals your body sends and how to interpret it.

So Forest, in a way you are lucky this has happened, as it was bound to happen sooner or later - from the posts I read and my own experience it looks like experiencing this, learning how to interpret it, deal with it and progress from it, are just natural stages on most runner's learning curves - so next time round you'll have more experience of it, and have a better idea of what to do!
Good post RRR. Nice one. :d

·
Registered
177 Posts
Going to the gym tonight and see how i get on on the treadmill but will make sure i do a good warm up and cool down again as i think my problem maybe that i ahven't been dong enough of this before and after running.

thanks again everyone

One thing i would like to mention is that you should be slightly careful about using the treadmill. I ran on a tread mill for 4-5 years no problems. When i took up road running and had a few niggles i just couldn't seem to shake them. A couple of seasoned runners advised me to cut the treadmill out all together and get outside and run instead. Having finally listened to them i found the niggles ceased quite quickly. They said the niggles probably prosisted whilst on the treadmill as they can be quite hard on the legs. Of course that would vary from treadmill to treadmill.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Junkie Ball, i actually felt it easier running on the treadmill not so hard on the legs as the road. i'm really not sure what to do now i rested friday saturday and sunday (the longest period ever) only did 3k running on the treadmill and 2k walking last night and my right leg is exactly the same again today as it was, i can only describe it as when i was a little girl and the top of my leg hurt my mum used to say you've pulled a muscle and thats exactly wht it feels like. Should i keep resting? i've been enjoying running so much up to this point and am really started to feel quite frustrated!!! thanks for all your advice so far.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
My apologies if I'm covering old ground (I read a lot of threads and forget what's been said where, and about who!) - but have you have your trainers properly fitted? i.e. with a gait analysis? Something's obviously putting extra strain on that muscle/area and we need to find out what it is!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Ya, when i first started running i went to my local sweat shop and ran on the treamill and they assessed and advised on apair of trainers which i bought they are Saucony and are very comfortable and feel quite supportive. do you think it's worth popping back to them? and explaining my problem?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
probably not... the reason I ask is that often people just buy shoes from a local sports shop, not realising that shoes have varying levels of support & cushioning to suit your running style and help prevent injuries. As a result they run in an unsuitable shoes which can cause an injury. Seeing as you bought your shoes with the aid of a gait analysis they should be perfectly suited. I'm not really sure what to suggest other than seeking professional advice. Muscle imbalances are quite common and can cause extra load on certain muscles - but this is pretty darned hard to notice without seeing somebody who can examine your biomechanics :confused:

·
Registered
516 Posts
One thing i would like to mention is that you should be slightly careful about using the treadmill. I ran on a tread mill for 4-5 years no problems. When i took up road running and had a few niggles i just couldn't seem to shake them. A couple of seasoned runners advised me to cut the treadmill out all together and get outside and run instead. Having finally listened to them i found the niggles ceased quite quickly. They said the niggles probably prosisted whilst on the treadmill as they can be quite hard on the legs. Of course that would vary from treadmill to treadmill.

I was under the impression treadmill running was less demanding than road running, and can help when returning with injury. Any tread I have ran on has had more "give" than outdoor surfaces (other than grass). Certainly trying to run 10k outside after only running 10k on a tread was a rude awakening for me when I changed over a few years ago! :sick:

Ito

·
Registered
177 Posts
I was under the impression treadmill running was less demanding than road running, and can help when returning with injury. Any tread I have ran on has had more "give" than outdoor surfaces (other than grass). Certainly trying to run 10k outside after only running 10k on a tread was a rude awakening for me when I changed over a few years ago! :sick:

Ito
That what i was always under the impression aswell and it does seem far more logical. Although i do road running the majority of my outside run is usually 10K plus across fields and rivers. Love the freedom cross country gives and is great for strength.

Running on tarmac all the time would be very hard on the joints (knees and ankles etc.) guess there is a fine balance though!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts