Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Girls,
Now, I know, Im not a lady but Im looking for some advice. My girlfriend is starting to get in to the idea of running and I would love nothing more than for her to start running with me. Obviously I have been running longer than her (she has never ran for run, if that makes sense) but I would be happy to go at a slower pace until she becomes more comfortable with running.

What sort of distance and training would you recommend for a begineer. Ive suggested she looks at getting a cheap set of running shoes from the local running shop just to start with. She loves walking and can walk for ages but running is different.

Any advice would be great.

O.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Well you would be a great help to her.

I would advise however to get good running shoes, as this would prevent possible injury and also won't put her off of running if she did get one from not so good shoes.

They don't have to be the latest running shoe but I would recommend an analysis.

Just start her of gently, there are a few new runners on this forum who have been doing the run/walk program so perhaps if you looked up a schedule for this on the net you could get her started, as doing too much too soon could be off putting.

If she was anything like me when I started running you will need a whole lot of patience but hopefully she will take to it really well.

Hope this helps and keep us posted on her progress.

TT

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are going on holiday tonight for a week, heading back to where I grew up (the isle of Tiree in the inner hebrides) and we are going to head out to the beaches and run/walk them. Hopefully this will be an easy start and then we will look at the coast paths near where we live.

I'm guessing running bras are a good idea as well?

O.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hi Owain

Unless she is completely flat-chested, she will definitely need a good supportive bra. I like the Shock Absorber ones (and I'm certainly NOT flat-chested :) )

I'm a complete beginner (or at least I was, 8.5 weeks ago :d) and I've been doing a run/walk program. I can definitely recommend it as a good way to start. The program I've been doing is in a great little book called "Running Made Easy". As well as the program, it's full of good tips for beginners, and will even take you (that's generic you, not you personally, of course!) up to marathon distance if you're sufficiently inspired.

This is the book.

Anna

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fantastic! A book! She does enjoy reading so this might be the very thing!

And no she isnt very much not flat chested......

Thanks for your help people :d

O.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Nope :( I havent given up though :)

O.

As Kate Bush once said - 'Don't Give Up!'

Pete started running with me after he had come to a couple of my races (held my coat!) But it was seeing the race and seeing how friendly the crowd was, and the adrenaline that I think made him really interested... so couple of ideas... get her along to one of your races to spectate... and also, maybe get running with you at the gym to begin with? At least on the treadmills (if there is anything good about them) you can control the speed and still be 'with' someone.... but at least this way, when you do get her out, it won't be a disaster! I think just a shortish (5k?) route to begin with.....

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She has come along to most of the races I have done (1/2 and full marathons) and she doesnt seem interested.
She has said it is painful on her lady parts when she runs and Ive said she could get a good fitting bra (advice from this forum :) ) but nope, swimming is more her thing so I guess I will need to give up trying because it will start an argument before long.

Its a shame really because I was looking forward going for a run with her......

O.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Sorry to hear that Owain (sends hug) - to be honest I don't really run 'with' Pete any more (he is much faster now, so I wouldn't hold him back), and I've almost lost a friend (pretty much) due to the competitiveness of our running together (but thats another story!) I would say if she isn't keen then leave it... maybe concentrate on something else you can do together... maybe another activity that will help you on your non-running days get more physically in trim for your running, like cycling?!?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I've also tried, and failed miserably, to get my other half into running - even offered to pay for all her kit! Of course I said I'd love to run with her - at her pace, but she just doesn't see the appeal... nevermind eh! can't say I didn't try!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've also tried, and failed miserably, to get my other half into running - even offered to pay for all her kit! Of course I said I'd love to run with her - at her pace, but she just doesn't see the appeal... nevermind eh! can't say I didn't try!
Sounds exactly the same as me! :)
I think swimming will be the option now which is fine by me now I have lost some weight, talk about girls being parnoid about their weight, I used to hate going swimming due to stretch marks and big belly. The belly is slowly going now though so off to the swimming pool it is I think....might actually suggest it for tonight.

O.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sorry it didn't work out Owain. The big race atmosphere got my husband interested. Now he enters races, goes for a couple of runs the week before and beats me:mad: Think I wish he'd stuck to swimming.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Well done you guys that run with your partners, Mrs Squint breaks a sweat running a bath! Not so practical now with Squint junior so just as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts