Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
gotta start somewhere, i'm new to running, i'm a cyclist who wants to get into running.
i've done a couple of duathlons 3 years ago and i have not done a lot since.

i'm very much into time trialling but i want to improve my running so any tips are more than welcome.

i can manage a 3 mile run in 22 minutes but i don't really have a clue what this really means, ie. is is average, slow not bad or whatever.

i want to build up to some longer runs but i don't have more than about 3 hours a week training time.

Cheers in advance for your help

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

3 miles in 22 minutes is a good time. I'd suggest running 2-3 times a week depending on your cycling, and build one of those runs into a long run of 1-1.5 hours. On this run, slow down from your usual pace and build up by half a mile or so each week. Keep your othere runs to 3 miles while building up the distance of your long run.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

I think Grant has nailed the advice bit. So, welcome to our corner of the Internet.
thanks for the encouragement, well done on the weight loss, it must be rewarding losing it how you have, keep it up.

i have been lucky with the weight, i seem to stay around 65 - 66 kgs but i battled with smoking and managed to kick it, my cycling helped and hopefully the running will improve with training.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, i think i'm basically fit but the running does hurt and i try to do it at least 2 days before a cycling event so i don't hurt too much.

if i'm doing 8 miles an hour average, which is quite hard for me, what ave speed should i do my longer runs at. (the 8mile an hour pace is i suppose my 5k pace in training terms).

cheers,
Craig

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Assuming you're going flat out at that pace, I'd suggest running at a comfortable pace for your longer runs - you should be able to hold a conversation without gasping for too hard to catch your breath.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Good day to you Craig, the running should be a welcome change from the cycling whilst still keeping the cardio going.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats about ave 170 heart rate and my 10 mile time trial average is 180 plus, so it's not flat out but i can't get my heart up while running so i know there is more in the tank but i just cant get the speed up

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Craig

Welcome to RF :d

TT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts