Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
To be honest I'm completely new to running, recently decided I need to lose some weight and improve my fitness.
I'm 33, I'm not massively overweight but could certainly lose a few Kg, and I have a fairly physical job/hobbies so in terms of strength and general health I'm not perfect but not too bad..
However after trying to go for a run I've found out I'm surprisingly unfit.. :( now I'm sure many of you guys are seasoned pros, and hopefully I'll get there, but I'm not there yet so wanted some advice on starting up.
I can run at an OK jogging pace for about 5 minutes, that's all. Now I can't help but wonder if thats really worth doing, should I do a brisk walk for say half an hour or continue with the jogging increasing the time as I'm able to?
Will 5 minutes jogging really help me or should I change the way I approach this?
I've recently changed eating habits too so hopefully that should also help.
I have no intention of giving up, just after some advice on how best to achieve my goal :)
Sorry for the long post, hopefully you will get what I'm going for.
Thanks for the time.
James

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
9 Posts
I highly suggest don't do things abruptly as you would strain yourself. I think that brisk walking would help and eating the right kind of food is absolutely the best tip.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi James I think most people start by walking and running. Have you looked at the c25k ? If that does not interest you carry on walk running and your time running will soon improve. Don't try to increase to quickly and run slowly . Endurance and speed will soon follow.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Hi James, I would also really recommend C25K. Then there is a follow-on program to take you to 10K.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi guys,
To be honest I'm completely new to running, recently decided I need to lose some weight and improve my fitness.
I'm 33, I'm not massively overweight but could certainly lose a few Kg, and I have a fairly physical job/hobbies so in terms of strength and general health I'm not perfect but not too bad..
However after trying to go for a run I've found out I'm surprisingly unfit.. :( now I'm sure many of you guys are seasoned pros, and hopefully I'll get there, but I'm not there yet so wanted some advice on starting up.
I can run at an OK jogging pace for about 5 minutes, that's all. Now I can't help but wonder if thats really worth doing, should I do a brisk walk for say half an hour or continue with the jogging increasing the time as I'm able to?
Will 5 minutes jogging really help me or should I change the way I approach this?
I've recently changed eating habits too so hopefully that should also help.
I have no intention of giving up, just after some advice on how best to achieve my goal :)
Sorry for the long post, hopefully you will get what I'm going for.
Thanks for the time.
James

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
First, well done for making the decision to take up health enhancing exercise activities.
Jogging pace is perfectly fine, and most people to start with do a run/walk combination. That's ok too. Build up the distance that you can run continuously.
If you fancy, you can check out your local parkrun - an organised weekly 5k group run.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
walk/jog is what I used when i started. I just did a few 2-3 mile walk/runs, i.e ran a bit, walked a bit, ran a bit. Over days/weeks I just gradually cut out the walking bits. For me everything ached at first, so take it easy and listen to your body, if it hurts ease off or stop.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I echo what has already been said.

C25K

·
Registered
4 Posts
How about starting out on treadmill? When I started out, I ran on treadmill for about a month. Then treadmill started to get boring, so I jumped out of the gym and into the nature!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts