Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking for a couple of short races to keep me in training I stumbled across this rather enticing list of events known collectively as The Somerset Series.

I've worked out that I can do most of them...just two in the summer are out because of foreign holiday.

The races are:

25/2/07 Babcary Road Race 7.5 mile
4/3/07 Butleigh MT 7 mile
9/4/07 Easter Bunny 10k
6/5/07 Glastonbury 10k
9/5/07 Yeovilton 5k
3/6/07 Crewkerne 9 mile
1/7/07 Quantock Beast MT 5.7 mile (I'm in Croatia so can't do this one)
15/7/07 Wellington 10 mile (I'm still away so can't do this one either)
1/8/07 Haselbury Trail 10k
26/8/07 Battle of Sedgemoor 10k
2/9/07 Burnham Beach 10k
9/9/07 Ash Excellent 8 mile
7/10/07 Burnham-on-Sea half marathon
21/10/07 Exmoor Stagger 16 miles in Exmoor National Park (sounds lovely!)
10/11/07 Cheddar half marathon
25/11/07 Brent Knoll 5.5 mile

16 events in all, and very reasonably priced!

Anyone else fancy going for it...

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, we did the first race in the series last Sunday...

It was a blustery/windy day and the 7 mile 933yd course was most definitely undulating, but also quite enjoyable through the Somerset country lanes

I finished in 55.34, 2nd LV35 and 6th lady overall :)

Leg held up quite well, just started to let me know that it wasn't happy in the last mile.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yep . . it was an enjoyable race to take part in . . I managed 1.03.57 so finished a little way behind Trin . .

Since neither of us had raced 7½ miles before, it means we both achieved pb's :)

The homemade cakes afterwards were lush :p

I was 92nd overall (think there were 150 finishers) and 15th V50 (I think) . .

Now we're looking forward to the 2nd race in the series . . the Butleigh Multi Terrain 7-Miles Approx!!

It says it's a scenic, undulating course, over some road and bridle tracks and with 2 hill climbs. From the look of the weather forecast we'll mostly be swimming round!!

Better take my water wings then :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So... the second race in the series was Butleigh multi-terrain 7 mile

As we left home in the rain yesterday morning I suggested to Rich that we only need 8 races to count for the series, so this didn't have to be one of them... but he just said "we're up now, so get out there"
I guess I could have argued the case and said that we didn't need to stay up, but the thought of the post race cakes had more influence.

To say it was wet and muddy is the understatement of the year! The 7 mile race was mostly through ankle deep squelchy mud (over which I was doing my best impression of Bambi on ice), and huge deep muddy puddles. We ran through muddy woods, accross muddy fields, climbed over muddy gates and styles, and slid and skidded up and down muddy hills, which really made you appreciate the very short stretches of lovely smooth and even, although slightly uphill road.

I was mostly concentrating on staying upright and finishing in one piece with both trainers still on my feet, which I mostly managed, apart from one fall...on one of the least muddy parts of the course :confused:

My poor trainers are recovering in the airing cupboard.

However, the results are now up and amazingly I replicated my placings from the previous weeks road run... 2nd LV35 and 6th lady overall in a time of 1.05.05 :)

Rich was very close behind me... but I'll let him post his report :rolleyes:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Good point Steve!! Hadn't thought of that!!

Well I really enjoyed that!! Hadn't done a wet multi-terrain race for many years and I managed to pace it right so that I was still strong at the finish and therefore I enjoyed it, despite slipping whilst climbing over one of the metal gates and very nearly splitting my difference. Not sure if I'm bruised as I've not been able to look there for years!!

Moving on . . as Trin said, we opened the door and it was filthy outside . . but not only had we got up specially to travel down to the race . . we'd also left a party early on Saturday night because we wanted to race . . so I figured it was a shame to waste a sacrifice like that!!

The course was pretty arduous and wearing off road shoes didn't make a huge amount of difference as it was so wet underfoot . . Trin's description is spot on. Three long climbs but only one long downhill . . and I loved that downhill!!

It was great to finish with a time of 1.08.31, in 57th place, 8 places behind Trin. I doubt if I'll get that close to Trin now that she can throw her "Soggy Multi Terrain" 'L' plates away and she knows what to expect. I was delighted, and relieved, to see Trin grinning broadly at the finish as she waited for me.

We weren't aware that there were showers available (we were in a new building which the builders had only just handed over 2 days previously) and so Trin got changed in the car and I bared and cleaned all discreetly in the road . . before we returned to Race HQ for more cakes!!! Splendid!!!

Looking forward to the Easter Bunny 10k now . . although that'll be a different kind of race becuse it's so popular with probably around 300 runners taking part intead of the 76 that ran yesterday.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tsk.... Rich assured me that he would post in here with a report of the most recent race in the series

men eh....

The third race in the series took place on Easter Monday and was the Easter Bunny 10k
It was a lovely course...99% flat with one baby hill in the middle.
I decided that as I got so close to my 10k pb during a 16 mile training run the previous week, I would try for a shiny new pb at the race.

I went through the first mile in 6.35...oops, maybe that was just a little too enthusiastic I thought...so I slowed it down. Second mile 6.49 :huh:

Legs had obviously made an executive decision without consulting lungs and pushed on going through the next few miles in 6.39, 6.40 and 6.38.

In the last mile I paid for going off too fast at the start of the race and struggled with a 6.54, although that was actually closer to the pace that I was intending for the whole race.

I had a little left in the tank and sprinted for the line, finishing in 42.19.

There was a little argy bargy on the finish line where one lady finished a fraction behind me but decided to place herself in front of me.... no race etiquette at all! And it was lucky that she wasn't in my category or I would have taken it further.

So, I was 4th LV35 and scored a PB by 1 min 24 sec and got an Easter egg at the finish... I was a very happy bunny :rolleyes:

Rich did well too, but I'll let him report on his race

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
So glad to see that things are going so well after all your problems Trinity.

You deserved that egg.

I`ll be glad to break 50 minutes this year....................

·
Registered
113 Posts
Trinity said:
Rich did well too, but I'll let him report on his race
Thanks Trin :)

Well my race took a while longer than Trin's but I enjoyed it and was pleased with it nevertheless . .

Usually at the Easter Bunny I set off too quickly and I'm gasping after 4 miles and being passed by everyone in the final 2 . .

This time though I managed to run an even paced race - so much so that my slowest mile (the 5th) was only 12 seconds slower than my fastest mile (the 6th), which I was very happy about . . and my time of 48.17 was my quickest for 16 months over the 10k distance . .

Although for once at the Easter Bunny the sun forgot to shine it did mean that the Easter Eggs we all received afterwards hadn't melted . . and we got a good t-shirt each as well . .

Looking forward now to the next race in the series, the Glastonbury 10k (although according to the entry forms it's actually 9.16k (or 5.69m) so we'll both be getting new pb's) on the 6th of May :cool:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 4th race in the series was last Sunday and Rich and I were there :)

It was the Glastonbury Road Run and the official distance was an intriguing 5.69 miles...which was even printed on the rather nice purple tshirt (Rich had a yella one...just to be different).

It started near the top of an uphill and although it was a little undulating, the course was quite fast (especially for those not carrying injuries that suffer on downhills :confused: ).

There was also a 3k and a 5k, which attracted a lot of youngsters, who were far too fast for their own good if you ask me!!

I had a touch of 'race madness' set in during the 4th mile and managed to convince myself that I was running a 6 and a half mile race, and not 5 and a half. Then when I saw the 5 mile marker I got very confused because I was sure that I'd already passed it. So I sunk into a depression in the mistaken belief that I still had another mile and a half to run...and I was getting tired...and my leg was complaining....and there was another hill...and...

But then I heard the finish announcer and cheering crowds, and realised that I was nearly home after all :)

I finished in 40.16, and 6th lady (according the guy on the course that was shouting out your place as you ran past...the official results are still not up as yet).

Overall the race was quite enjoyable.

What slightly spoiled it though was the presentation, which was a bit of a farce. They were half an hour late to start the presentations, then they still didn't have the full list of winners. Names were read out rapidly down the list with no pause for recognition of their achievements. They even omitted a whole age catagory (Girls year 9/10) because they said that there were no entrants in that catagory, but some girls spoke up and said that they were in that catagory and what's more, had run a fast time. It was all getting quite uncomfortable, so Rich and I left while they were all mumbling amongst themselves.

So I now have a 5.69 mile PB, but will probably not ever be able to challenge it...apparently next year the Glastonbury Road Run is going to be the Glastonbury 10k

Next race... Yeovilton 5k... tomorrow evening :confused:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Great report Trin . . difficult for me to add much . .

I finished in 47.28 (a 5.69m pb for me too LOL) . . hardly any quicker than I ran the 10k a few weeks previously. But then again, it was only the 4th time I'd run since then, following a combination of a nasty dose of man flu, work going ballistic and lost enthusiasm . . no results posted yet so no idea where I finished in the race . .

Couldn't believe there was no cake afterwards!! :( I thought that was the whole reason for this series :confused:

Luckily we visited my aunt elsewhere in Somerset afterwards and she'd bought a nice sticky choccy cake which we enjoyed. I had a second slice coz I didn't want to appear rude :)

I have to echo Trin's comments about the presentation. Obviously nobody makes things go wrong on purpose but this was the 26th time they've held this event so they really should have a reasonable idea of what's required by now. I'm not suggesting it's easy . . but it shouldn't be that difficult either . .

And I wish I'd got a purple t-shirt too :huh:

More after tomorrow . .

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
woohoo!!!

I got a 5k PB tonight by nearly 3 minutes!

I'll report more on the race tomorrow...

...and where I found the short cut ;) (kiddin)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And the official results from last night are up already!

Short races are not my most favourite distance, which is why before last night, I have only raced 5k once before...and that was in Miami, the day before the marathon.

The main reason why I'm not keen on them is that there's no room for error...you just have to run fast from the moment the guy says "Go!" and then run as fast as you can until the finish line.

The only advantage is that the pain doesn't last for too long because it's only a few miles.

But I did my best on the fast flat course (in fair, but cool and windy conditions) last night and finished in.....

<<drum roll>>

20 minutes and 36 seconds... taking 2 minutes and 54 seconds off my PB!! :)

I also finished 4th lady overall and 2nd LV35, which should help my Somerset Series result along nicely :rolleyes:

Rich had a great run too but I'll let him post about his race

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I love reading your race reports - I can amost picture you both sat behind a desk in a news type studio both in your suits.

Glad to read that you are sounding so positive Trinity.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Steady Edwina said:
I love reading your race reports - I can amost picture you both sat behind a desk in a news type studio both in your suits.

Glad to read that you are sounding so positive Trinity.

oops... forgot I left my webcam on ;)

It's goodnight from me... :cool:

(your cue Rich)

1 - 20 of 107 Posts