Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tonight when i started runnig my heels were sore, it went away after 2 miles and i felt quite good, i used to run 3 times a week, now i do some hill work and that has taken my running nights to 5, i only started this last week so my question is, is it the extra running thats caused this or could it be my running shoes?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Was it causing you any grief beforehand? If not then it's likely to be the extra training load...

Your running style may be a contributing factor (e.g. if you strike the ground heavily with your heel), which will also cause your trainers to wear out a bit quicker too. But without seeing your running style I think it's hard to assess!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was it causing you any grief beforehand? If not then it's likely to be the extra training load...

Your running style may be a contributing factor (e.g. if you strike the ground heavily with your heel), which will also cause your trainers to wear out a bit quicker too. But without seeing your running style I think it's hard to assess!
used different shoe's tonight, the pain went away quite quick(after a half mile or so) it was mainly my left heel, i seem to get all my injuries on my left side for some reason, i think its the extra miles that are causing it but i dont want to rest just yet because the extra training seems to be paying off

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
just to let you know, it's quite common for an injury/niggle to develop on one side first, since it's very rare to have a symetrical body :)

If it does start to get bad, make sure you take a rest. I understand your training may be progressing well at the moment, but no quicker than it normally would, and a bit of time off in the near future would be far less frustrating than several months off further down the line! ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
If all your injuries tend to be down one side, maybe you should check your strength on that side. Especially if you've had a bad injury, your muscles may be weaker and therefore the joints won't be as stable.

I know that I tend to get injured more on my right side, and I know that my right ankle is relatively weak (sprained it quite badly when I was four, and it's been weak ever since). Still, knowing this hasn't yet prompted me to do the strengthening exercises for it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how old are your trainers?
6 month maybe, i've also washed them a few times

If all your injuries tend to be down one side, maybe you should check your strength on that side. Especially if you've had a bad injury, your muscles may be weaker and therefore the joints won't be as stable.

I know that I tend to get injured more on my right side, and I know that my right ankle is relatively weak (sprained it quite badly when I was four, and it's been weak ever since). Still, knowing this hasn't yet prompted me to do the strengthening exercises for it :rolleyes:
im starting a strength training thingy with my mates football team so i'll keep that in mind, won't be easy with guys in there 20's:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts