Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I'm new to his site and to running so I'm hoping to get some advice from all you experienced runners out there.

I started running a couple of months ago with usually a couple of runs per week of between 3.5 and 5.5 miles. All has been going fine and I've got over the initial problems with lack of fitness and muscular soreness. I invested in a pair of running shoes after the first couple of runs which feel much more comfortable than the old squash shoes I began with. Really enjoying it!

I have 2 main routes, the longer run being up hill and down dale mainly on roads and the shorter run being a long gentle downward slope along an old railway line trail followed by a short up hill stretch through town. Both circular routes.

In the last couple of weeks I've been experiencing some pain afterwards in my right knee. I notice it after the shorter route. It is quite localised on the outside of my knee and causes me particular problems for the 12 hours or so after the run. Getting up and down stairs is a particular problem - I work in an office which is full of stairs. I run at lunch time and generally the pain has gone by the next day.

Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Welcome :d

Do you stretch? It could be due to lack of "IT band" stretching.
The IT band is a muscle that runs from the hip to the bottom of the knee

The main problem occurs when the tensor fasciae latae muscle and iliotibial band become tight. This causes the tendon to pull the knee joint out of alignment and rub against the outside of the knee, which results in inflammation and pain.

http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/knee-pain.php

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Kiwifruit. That sounds like it may be it - Will try the warm up next time I go out and report back - Did my longer route yesterday and as usual no adverse reaction ... weird!

·
Registered
6 Posts
hotpasties said:
Thanks for your reply Kiwifruit. That sounds like it may be it - Will try the warm up next time I go out and report back - Did my longer route yesterday and as usual no adverse reaction ... weird!
It could be warming up, but it wouldn't do any harm to go and see your GP. Knee's are tricky things and it's best to get things looked at. Does it ever feel like it's going to give way? If it does i'd definitely recommend looking into it! Remember, safety first ;)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Might be good to try some cycling or swimming or similar as well as your running. These build up the other muscles in your legs, so that they take some of the strain off your running muscles.

A good set of stretches will probably help too, just remember to hold the stretch of at least 20 seconds, pref more, otherwise you won't actually get any benefit from it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts