Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it says in the title, I have 2 sore knee caps which dont hurt when walking or going up and down stairs but hurt like hell when I am kneeling down on the floor and putting pressure on them.

This has only occured since I have increased the time/distance of my running. I have started to take Glucosamine Sulphate tablets 1000mg a day and was wondering what else I can do to ease the stiffness/pain?

I sat in a stone cold bath after my run last night and to be honest I think it did work. My calfs and hips are not sore today at all. After the inital "OMG" it was a very pleasant and welcome relief :)

Nat

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Now you are getting serious, cold baths and all. I get achey knees when I up mileage but as I get used to it they improve. Now and again I take an extra rest day if they get too bad.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice which as ever is always welcome and appreciated. I shall go out again tomorrow night and see how they fair. If I am struggling then I shall reduce the distance/time. They are currently well rubbed with Deep heat and all is good

·
Registered
693 Posts
I've been getting a sore knee too and decided to get my gait analysed in town today. I have a new pair of Asics trainers now which will give more support than the pair I was using as they have more support. Perhaps having your gait checked will help too?

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Smiler is the pain at the bottom of your knee cap?

If so it could be something similar to what I had/have. Stretching is fixing that.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Smiler is the pain at the bottom of your knee cap?

If so it could be something similar to what I had/have. Stretching is fixing that.
Its in the middle and below the knee cap. Can you suggest some good stretches for me then to try?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Sounds like the body simply adjusting to the extra demands of an increased training load to me... so long as you don't overdo it too much the body should strengthen and adapt, but an ice pack (/bag of peas) for 5-10mins after your runs should help to ease the pain in the meantime.

Light stretching always helps - though I'm rubbish at suggesting stretches so i'll leave it to squint who seemingly has a few he can recommend :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
If they only hurt when you kneel on them and it is a sharp, really bad pain, it could be housemaids knee.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Its in the middle and below the knee cap. Can you suggest some good stretches for me then to try?

Thanks
For my it was due to a tight quad. Physio told me to stand on one leg while pulling the foot of the other leg behind me to touch my bum then make sure my knee was behind my hip.

Does that make sense?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts