Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a niggling problem with my left knee for a wee while now. It doesn't hurt when I run but can be quite sore after a run. I have been unable to kneel on my left knee for sometime now as a result. Finally got round to seeing a Physio today. Turns out I have a high kneecap, some simple stretches and in a couple of weks all should be right as rain.

I didn't know you could have a high kneecap!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Brilliant! First injury post I've ever read that contains the symptoms, diagnosis and cure all in the first post :d

Hope it gets sorted soon enough for ya ;)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
that is good news squint :d

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Richard, you know me. Not really one for long drawn out protracted pointless posts. Well not all the time!

Planning a run tomorrow not sure how far or when but I'll be out.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
was that an all out effort? as in virtually collapsing on the floor as you finished? If not, I reckon your peak is higher :p
Okay, let me reword that: I recorded a peak heartrate of 173. I do not know what my physical peak is. This was what I consider my easy route, but remember I am still 3 stone overweight and inherantly unfit.

As to collapsing on the floor, my first slope has that effect but I soldier on.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Thinking about it, what is a safe heart rate. I peak at 173 according to my new geek toy. Is that okay?

When I started using a HRM by BPM was peaking at over 200!! This happened only once or twice per run and only very very briefly. I consider myself to be reasonably fit so I was surprised at that. I also noticed I spent an awful long time in the anaerobic zone which didn't seem right as your only supposed to stay in that zone when pushing it to extremes (i think!) :notrust:

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My average BPM when running is around 180-186 I can sustain this for over an hour. Driving home the other day still with HRM on I saw it read 240 BPM. My driving is not that scary think it may have been having a funny 5 minutes as it was ok today.

Today. I have to hang my head in shame. Went for a run but due to time restrictions could only manage a shade over 10k. As someone who normally runs in the evening the oppresive heat of the midday sun proved almost to much of a match for me. I was wearing a long sleeve top which was soaked through in minutes. The heat and moist humid air were almost my downfall. I had no other choice but to remove my top to cool off, fortunatly the road was very quiet so no big embarrasment was untill my father-in-law drove past wetting himself laughing. Managed to whole humiliating run in 45.02 gutted! Should have been well under 45 mins.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
These are VERY high heart rates guys! I think you're definately right about the 240bpm being when the monitor had a bit of a funny moment... I believe it's generally accepted that 220bpm is the physical limit of the heart at birth, hence the maximum heart rate approximations being 220bpm minus your age.

What sort of intensities are you running at Itokuzu? To reach over 200bpm I would suspect you must me gasping for air and about ready to collapse?!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'm not saying this is definately the case, (as I'm not really qualified to say!) but do you guys reckon there's a chance of interference with your HR monitors? Many HR monitors (notably those that 'talk' to gym equipment and display your HR on the gym equipment's screen) use a radio signal to transmit the signal from the chest strap to the watch and are a little more susceptible to interference.

·
Registered
516 Posts
These are VERY high heart rates guys! I think you're definately right about the 240bpm being when the monitor had a bit of a funny moment... I believe it's generally accepted that 220bpm is the physical limit of the heart at birth, hence the maximum heart rate approximations being 220bpm minus your age.

What sort of intensities are you running at Itokuzu? To reach over 200bpm I would suspect you must me gasping for air and about ready to collapse?!

I've just checked my beloved MotionBased account for that run - my heart rate peaked at 201bpm, for a very very VERY brief moment. A glitch with the equipment perhaps?

This was a 40 minute run, in which time I covered 9km of fairly flat terrain. Out of this amount of time my HRM told me I had spent 19.03 minutes in anaerobic zone 5 (running 4.25km at 12.8km per hour). My average heart rate for the run was 167bpm.

This is not a particularly intense run for me, in fact it's fairly average. So I am surprised I spent so much time in the anaerobic zone, which of course is the "pushing it till your eyes are popping out" zone!

Do these figures look odd? If so hopefully it's a problem with my HRM and not my H !! :worried:

Ito.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have had my heart rate over 200 on numerous occasions and you can feel every beat and pulse throb. It is never for extended periods of time. The most I have recorded has been 231 bpm. Probably shouldn't have pushed that hard, but ahwell!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I recorded a 200 i think tonight but that was as I just set off up the hill right outside my front door.
Once I was up it it settled.
Averaged 163 BPM tonight. which is just over 80% I think :lol:

·
Registered
516 Posts
I recorded a 200 i think tonight but that was as I just set off up the hill right outside my front door.
Once I was up it it settled.
Averaged 163 BPM tonight. which is just over 80% I think :lol:
Just out of curiosity, do you know how long you spent in Zone 5 as a rough percentage of your run?

Ito.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts