Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been training for the edinburgh marathon since the beginning of the year and have been doing not to bad. Been able to get enough time to do the runs and not been affected by injury too much. Although...

I have started doing the longer weekend runs, after building up gradually. Yesterday i did 15 miles, which was supposed to be 14 miles but i miscalculated my starting point but i did take it easy and stopped a few times. Although this is not a great jump in milage my knees are quite stiff and bit too painful today. I did notice slight pain last week after doing around 12.5 miles but thought it was just an ache, which did subside with some icing. I did some smaller recovery runs during the week and they were fine. The pain returned yesterday though and around the 10 mile mark I had to slow to a walk for a minute. I did go onto finish, with the pain actually subsiding. But last night and this morning has been sore. The pain is just below the kneecap and above the shin. Has anyone else had experience of this?

Im obviously a bit worried as the marathon is the 25th of May and was hoping to get a 17ish mile in and one 20m. Depending on how the legs feel it might just be an 18mile and plenty of rest. Not looking for any time in particular, although below 4.5 hours would be nice!, and i just want to finish.

more background - i have been to running shop, had my running analysed and got the trainers. Was told i have quite a straight running style and that i have high arches. Not too high though and was told the trainers will offer enough support. Im 5 foot 10.5inches (lol) and just under 14 stone. Probably bit on the heavy side if im honest.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
pedestrian said:
From what you say, you may be suffering from patellar tendonitis.:(
What's the best solution for that - would it just be a case of resting? Or could you get away with just running fewer miles?

I've had sore knees myself and have previoulsy just reduced the volume for a couple of weeks to let my knees revocer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive decided to take out my mid week runs, for now, and use swimming and a cross trainer. Will do this and try running a few miles at the weekend and see what happens. I have looked up the patellar tendonitis, "jumpers knee"? does anyone think much of the knee strap things that spread the pressure on the tendon? not gonna go down that route yet, just interested...

thinking back i was maybe a bit lazy with my stretching when i finished the 15miler so there is probably some stiffness due to that. Must remember to do all stretches!!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I think that the knee-strap things are used mostly for the tendonitis thing, although I've never known anyone who'se actually used one. Sorry not to be any more constructive than that, Lairdy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts