Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not having much luck lately! two weeks ago it was my thigh, last week my knee and today my right shin is playing up.....at least I think its my shin! lol I have a slightly achy feeling just above my right ankle at the front of the leg. I'm sitting here trying stretching moves with my toes which seems to help.

I'm wondering what part of my body will ache next week? is this normal for a newbie to running to ache so much to start with?

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm not having much luck lately! two weeks ago it was my thigh, last week my knee and today my right shin is playing up.....at least I think its my shin! lol I have a slightly achy feeling just above my right ankle at the front of the leg. I'm sitting here trying stretching moves with my toes which seems to help.

I'm wondering what part of my body will ache next week? is this normal for a newbie to running to ache so much to start with?
Hiya,

I think it is normal for newbies to feel lots of aches and pains. For me it was as a result of trying to do too much too quickly. I ended up with agonising shins and achilles injuries by running too often and not doing any cross training

Try icing as well as stretching after a run. If you don't have an ice pack just run ice cubes up and down your shin. That is always a big help. I use anti inflammatory aids too if it is very sore, but I wouldn't start that if I were you without seeking advice from someone more qualified than me!

Ito.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I'll give the ice thing a go, never done that before after a run. I rely on stretching and having a slow walk back home to cool down.

Now that I've recovered from my run properly and showered my shin seems to be ok. The test will be the next time I go out.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I am new and things ache that I didn't know existed.

I think this is normal personally. If the pain is sudden then I worry more. I tried a cold bath on Sunday when I got home. It was almost painfull but I have had none of the calf pain I had after last week.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hi,

I swear by a cold shower after each run I do, really makes a big difference for my recovery as I have also suffered badly with sore shins. It might help as well to vary the surfaces that you run on, tarmac is generally bad for shin sufferers.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hiya, I also suffer with sore shins. I always warm down after the run by stretching then put ice-packs on them for 12 minutes when I get home.

Every day my routine in the evening is a bit of strength exercising to strengthen the muscle on the front of my legs (Anterior Tibial), then stretching my calves and later applying an ice-pack. They are defintately getting better and the ice will take away any soreness for a while.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
As a new runner, aches should be expected - but be careful not to overdo it. It takes a fair while for your body to adapt to running, and the muscles will adapt quicker than the bones and ligaments (or so I read somewhere!) so aches and pains do easily occur and shouldn't be a problem, so long as you let them recover sufficiently.

As you run more and more, you'll learn what your body is capable of and find it much easier to decide when you'll need an extra days rest or whatever :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aches should be expected......hmmmm maybe but I'm not enjoying them!

Today my left knee and my right ankle ache when I walk and up and down stairs, they seem a bit stiff too. Other than than I'm fine so I shouldnt complain too much.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I should've worded that better... aches certainly aren't a necessity. If someone trains lightly and gradually increases their training load then they can probably train without aches... but as is usually the case, runners want to do as much as possible, and beyond a certain level of increase in training comes the inevitable muscle aches ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts