Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing like as painful as before but I'm now into the 5th wekk (will be on Sunday) of the Marathon training plan and I'm currently up to 18 - 20 miles a week. I noticed last Sunday that after the 9 miles I really felt my left shin, I'm really worried about developing shin splints again, especially as the training had been going so well.

What's the best thing to do, carry on but slow the runs down or skip one of the 4-5 miles during the week for a X train machine.

Advice welcome !

·
Registered
707 Posts
I thought shin splints were an impact-related injury anyway, so I would have thought that maybe transferring some of your miles to a cycle, or xtrainer or whatever would be a good idea. Especially if you're doing any proper cardio workouts. I read somewhere that if stop cardio workouts for even 2 weeks your cv capacity can decrease back to pre-training levels after not very long at all!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Can't really offer any advice, Granty, I'll just wish you well and hope it gets better. It's the last thing you need. Just out of interest, how many days a week are you training?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both, generally run 3 times during the week and then an ever increasing one at the weekend, I've just got back from an 11 mile run this morning and I really made sure I warmed up for a long time before and touch wood, feel OK so far.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I had the same problem last year when training for a marathon. I found that more stretching helped out, as did having a hot bath after the run.

However, the main the thing that helped was a bottle of some linament that my mum bought me. I can't remember the name of the top of my head, but I'll find it out and post it in the thread. I used it before and after my long runs and the marathon itself and it really lessened the problem.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Steepler, yes, shoes are fine, when this played up last year I decided to bite the bullet and go and get a gait analysis and professional advice from a running shop. The difference was huge, I have a pair that are well cushioned.

Having been out today, I'm glad to report that they feel fine, I think that as things have been OK I might have fallen into the trap and not warmed up correctly for the last few runs, does that sound plausible ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Grant - I thought that the best thing to with shin splints and after any run really was to get some ice on your legs, or cold shower anyway? Did the hot bath really make a difference to the shin splints? I have never had a case of it but always on the look out for preventive and corrective measures just in case.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Shin Splint - I feel your pain!!

I can sympathise with you, as I also require some assistance in this regard. Whilst training for the Great Glasgow Run last year I developed shin splints. For the most part it was only my left shin, but then it developed in both legs. I know now that they were brought on because I increased my mileage dramatically from 10k to 20K per run over a very short time period (schoolboy error, I know). I was wearing Asics 2100's at the time. They are of course neutral, but were providing a very good cushion, however after consultation and analysis by my local running shop I moved into Nike Air Structure Triax 10, a very cushioned support shoe suitable for an over-pronator (like me). They helped a little, as did RICE, but the problem persisted so much so that I had to pull out of the race. I was absolutely gutted, and only took part in one race last years a result. Anyhow, after further consultation with other runners I decided to give the legs a rest and pack it in for the year.

I started running again last week for the first time in 4 months, and thought I'd ease myself in slowly. Last Wednesday I ran 8k on the treadmill. No major problems. Then I ran 10k yesterday, again on the tread, and I started to feel that all too familiar twinge again. Not bad, but I knew exactly what it was. This morning I tried a road run. After only 2k I was feeling very sharp pains in my left shin again. The pain continued right through my run (which I cut short) and continue even now when I write this. I am gutted.

If any of you have any suggestion that might help me sort this I would gladly listen.
I cannot bear to let this problem interfere with my training again.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have started to have a very shower (from the knees down) and touch wood, this seems to have really helped with the recovery.

Just back from an 11 mile run (which is very long for me) and feel fine since coming out of the shower.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Granty said:
Cheers Grant - a magic potion, that's what I like to hear.!
The "magic potion" is called mthyl salicylate liniment.

lairdy21 said:
Grant - I thought that the best thing to with shin splints and after any run really was to get some ice on your legs, or cold shower anyway? Did the hot bath really make a difference to the shin splints? I have never had a case of it but always on the look out for preventive and corrective measures just in case.
I've found that a hot bath does ease the shin splints - I've tried it after several races, including a marathon, and found it really helped.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Good news Granty, I hope the pesky pain stays away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts