Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As some of you know I've been running since 4th of Jan. and was suffering from shin splints and blisters. Then I was told that I over-pronate and bought some Nike Air Equalons in order to correct this. I haven't had trouble with blisters since but sometimes my shins really hurt after a run. They settle down but then start to hurt almost immediately when I start my next run (I run every two days).

Its not stopping me running but it is annoying..

Its usually my left leg that is far worse than my right and today whilst running up a hill my left foot went almost completely numb??

Is this just par for the course for a new runner?
Will my shins "strengthen" up?
Should I be looking at getting some sort of insert for my shoes?
Could it be to do with a lack of a proper warm up as I didn't really warm up at all today?

Any ideas/advice would be appreciated

Cheers

;)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
It's something that you'll find stressed again and again; everybody is different. I can go through phases of running where every step is painful in some way or another. This can go on for days; even weeks. It's something that I've just come to accept and live with I'm afraid.
I realise that as a beginner, this isn't something that you really want to hear; but I'm trying to illustrate that you're not alone, and that the discomfort you're experiencing can be overcome. I think that the harsh reality is often quite different from initial expectation when people begin on a new exercise regime. Running can hurt. Sometimes it can hurt a lot. But it's possible, with perseverance, to learn that pain isn't always an indication that there is something seriously wrong... As I said at the start of this ramble, experience of pain is a very personal thing. Everybody has a different approach in dealing with it.
Sorry I can't really help, Johnny... But I expect there will be more useful posts to follow my rather bleak offering. :embarrassed:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
If you've had your shoes fitted properly then you shouldn;t need any insert into them, and I'd say it's most likely a case of overuse, that your legs are still adapting to the new demands being placed on them through running.

Ultimately, over time your shins will strengthen, but don't forget the importance of rest and particularly as a relatively new runner the fact that it's very easy to do too much too soon!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies...

I'm hoping its just a temporary thing. I'm going to have an extra rest day this time and not run again until Saturday and see if that helps.

Hopefully its just a case of getting my shins used to the running as you say....

Time will tell I suppose.

;)

PS. I'll let you know on Saturday if, halfway round, my leg drops off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts