Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out tonight and did my best run yet, I managed 1.6 miles in 20 minutes......and knackered myself beyond belief in the process, an hour later and I'm still red in the face!

I feel great in general but I think I might have strained my left thigh. I noticed it aching slightly whilst I was out and tried to ignore it. By the time I got home it was quite sore and aches quite badly when I walk up and down stairs. Standing and sitting in general are fine but getting out of a chair is a bit of bother. What can I do? other than rest it for a couple of days?

More importantly how can I prevent this in the future? this is the first injury I've had.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add its not the whole thigh aching, just one little spot at the front roughly in the middle, just enough to be annoying

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Rest tends to be the best thing, I had my first injury the other week and ignored it, went and ran a 1/2 marathon and then had to take almost 3 weeks off! Thankfully Im back out running again though.

How to prevent it happening again, may listen to your body and if you feel it twinge again while running, ease of on the pace.

Others who have had similiar pains will be able to give you more advice but just now I would say rest is the best thing. :)

Hope it doesnt keep you out of action for long.

O.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I planned tomorrow to be a rest day anyway so I'll see how I feel on Wednesday. I think I might have overdone it a bit tonight!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Hopefully it is just an overuse stretch injury...ice it and rest tomorrow.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep definitely rest day tomorrow :)

I think I'm trying to be a bit over ambitious, I'm going to take it a little easier now as I hate coming home with a face like a dripping beetroot!

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
See what it is like in the morning.

It could be just your body getting used to the change in use. I ache in places I don't know can ache some days.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whatever the problem was its gone now, after a good nights kip my leg is fine with no soreness at all, yay! I'm still having a rest tonight though :)

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Great news that what ever it was has sorted it self out, it might of been a trapped nerve but when you were relaxed asleep it freed itself.....a rest is probably a good idea but as Hrun said, a swim is a good way to excercise without any hard impact on your body such as running on roads gives you.

O.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
well done on your run, glad things have cleared up, one hard run like that a week will show great improvements on your fitness.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Sounds like it was just beginners aches/pains... just the body getting used to the stresses and strains of running. Make sure you don't go straight into a full blown effort, either jog or have a brisk walk for 5 mins to warm up, then have a stretch to cool down :)

These aches and pains are quite normal really, if a pain persists then resting and icing the injured area is always a good idea, but remember it's these harder sessions that improve your fitness the most!!!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I was going to say it could just be the DOMs - do you stretch your quads after a run?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes I always stretch after a run, though recently I've been a bit lazy and have waited up to half an hour after each session before I stretch as I've been so hot and sweaty and desperate to sit down!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Try and stretch after your run whilst your muscles are still warm

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have the same thing right now only its all my thighs, Did four miles with 60lbs on my back this morning in 56 minutes. Im totally shattered

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
are you warming up as well Lizzy?? Think about the idea of quickly blowing up a cold ballooon... chances are it will pop... give it a nice stretch before to warm it up a bit and no such problems :)

Not suggested you should stretch when cold at all... (that'd increase your risk of injury!), but warm up with a less intense effort make make the muscles more plyable for when you really work them hard.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
are you warming up as well Lizzy?? Think about the idea of quickly blowing up a cold ballooon... chances are it will pop... give it a nice stretch before to warm it up a bit and no such problems :)

Not suggested you should stretch when cold at all... (that'd increase your risk of injury!), but warm up with a less intense effort make make the muscles more plyable for when you really work them hard.
I go for a brisk 5 minute walk before I start jogging, is that enough?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I'd say so...but then I never do anything that one is supposed to do/not do before running...ie I always drink coffee before a run.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts