Runners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I haven't been running for very long, but am currently doing 4-5 runs a week. Everytime I go for a run I get a really sore throat, and when I get home I have this really rough cough for about an hour and a half afterwards. I was told it might be the way I'm breathing - but it isn't. Does anybody else get this? Why does it happen?

Thanks in advance, Dee.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I suffer something like this but only on short fast runs on cold dry nights. I just put it down to breathing cold dry air quickly.

I laugh like Mutley when I'm finished!!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
A sore throat usually indicates that your body is fighting something... hence the sore throat just before a cold... you're fighting a virus.

If we didn't get sore throats we'd die of the common cold!

However, I'm not sure whether your sore throat is down to virus or simply cold air, which could be a symptom of exercise induced athsma (a condition that I have)

You should really speak to your GP about this..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trinity said:
A sore throat usually indicates that your body is fighting something... hence the sore throat just before a cold... you're fighting a virus.

However, I'm not sure whether your sore throat is down to virus or simply cold air, which could be a symptom of exercise induced athsma (a condition that I have)

You should really speak to your GP about this..
Hi Trinity. I'm not fighting off a virus, I get this everytime I go for a run. And only when I go for a run. I don't have exercise induced athsma. - I only get a sore throat when I run, and I do harsh kayaking, abseiling and go to the gym regularly. It's simply when I go running, I get a really sore throat, and have a rough cough afterwards. Other than that everything's normal.

It's like what squint said, but I get it in any weather. Does anybody know what causes it?

·
Registered
743 Posts
I suffer with this a bit too - though not as severely as yours sounds.

I think it's because my throat gets really dry, so I try to have some water just before I go and some as soon as I get back. I don't go far (yet!), but I'm already thinking that I'll need to do longer runs equipped with a water bottle to avoid it getting too bad... I also always put vaseline on my lips before I run because I hate having a dry mouth and that makes me feel better. I'm prone to sore throats anyway - think they're in my genes!

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
macjohnson said:
I suffer with this a bit too - though not as severely as yours sounds.

I think it's because my throat gets really dry, so I try to have some water just before I go and some as soon as I get back. I don't go far (yet!), but I'm already thinking that I'll need to do longer runs equipped with a water bottle to avoid it getting too bad... I also always put vaseline on my lips before I run because I hate having a dry mouth and that makes me feel better. I'm prone to sore throats anyway - think they're in my genes!
No wonder you are getting a sore throat your getting dressed all wrong it will be the fly rubbing!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.