Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I haven't been running for very long, but am currently doing 4-5 runs a week. Everytime I go for a run I get a really sore throat, and when I get home I have this really rough cough for about an hour and a half afterwards. I was told it might be the way I'm breathing - but it isn't. Does anybody else get this? Why does it happen?

Thanks in advance, Dee.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I suffer something like this but only on short fast runs on cold dry nights. I just put it down to breathing cold dry air quickly.

I laugh like Mutley when I'm finished!!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
A sore throat usually indicates that your body is fighting something... hence the sore throat just before a cold... you're fighting a virus.

If we didn't get sore throats we'd die of the common cold!

However, I'm not sure whether your sore throat is down to virus or simply cold air, which could be a symptom of exercise induced athsma (a condition that I have)

You should really speak to your GP about this..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trinity said:
A sore throat usually indicates that your body is fighting something... hence the sore throat just before a cold... you're fighting a virus.

However, I'm not sure whether your sore throat is down to virus or simply cold air, which could be a symptom of exercise induced athsma (a condition that I have)

You should really speak to your GP about this..
Hi Trinity. I'm not fighting off a virus, I get this everytime I go for a run. And only when I go for a run. I don't have exercise induced athsma. - I only get a sore throat when I run, and I do harsh kayaking, abseiling and go to the gym regularly. It's simply when I go running, I get a really sore throat, and have a rough cough afterwards. Other than that everything's normal.

It's like what squint said, but I get it in any weather. Does anybody know what causes it?

·
Registered
743 Posts
I suffer with this a bit too - though not as severely as yours sounds.

I think it's because my throat gets really dry, so I try to have some water just before I go and some as soon as I get back. I don't go far (yet!), but I'm already thinking that I'll need to do longer runs equipped with a water bottle to avoid it getting too bad... I also always put vaseline on my lips before I run because I hate having a dry mouth and that makes me feel better. I'm prone to sore throats anyway - think they're in my genes!

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Mac maybe you should put some vaseline on your throat!! Might work! Let me know how you get on if it works I'll try it, if it doesn't I'll just laugh!

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
macjohnson said:
I suffer with this a bit too - though not as severely as yours sounds.

I think it's because my throat gets really dry, so I try to have some water just before I go and some as soon as I get back. I don't go far (yet!), but I'm already thinking that I'll need to do longer runs equipped with a water bottle to avoid it getting too bad... I also always put vaseline on my lips before I run because I hate having a dry mouth and that makes me feel better. I'm prone to sore throats anyway - think they're in my genes!
No wonder you are getting a sore throat your getting dressed all wrong it will be the fly rubbing!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts