Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and a bit of a cold, im tempted to go for my run even though it will make things worse:'(

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
a sore throat indicates that your body is fighting something... personally I don't run in that circumstance but it's your decision

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a sore throat indicates that your body is fighting something... personally I don't run in that circumstance but it's your decision
i took the night off, hope i'am not like this for too long, i knew it was gonna happen as every one around me had a bad cough ect

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
It's an ongoing debate as to what you can/can't get away with - it's obvious your body is trying to fight something, but as to whether a run would've made it worse is anyones guess.

I think it's a case of weighing up the risks... either stay in and make sure it doesn't get any worse through running, or run with the intention of gaining a small slither of fitness but with a risk of getting worse.

Have to be honest in that I tend to go for the latter :embarrassed:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I have been the same this week and have a 1/2 on sunday so rather risk not being able to turn up for it at all I haven't run since monday, when this stupid head cold started :evil:

I know I have enough in me to get round don't think I will be getting a pb but it is a large race so I wasn't to worried in the first place.

TT :d

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've got a slight sore throat too and am debating whether to go out for a long run tomorrow morning. I've had it for a couple of days and ran Weds and last night without making it worse.

I have read that your immune system is dimished for a day or two after hard exercise, I'll try and find the article and put a link on here.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats almost a week, i've been unwell, looks like i will need at least another two days before im out running again, will i have lost any fitness in this time? i've got a 10k in a few weeks and was looking good for a post 50 minute time

·
Registered
664 Posts
thats almost a week, i've been unwell, looks like i will need at least another two days before im out running again, will i have lost any fitness in this time? i've got a 10k in a few weeks and was looking good for a post 50 minute time
If your training has been regular then a week or two off has little effect. I've had a hamstring niggle since the Edinburgh 10k in May, but hadn't really taken time off because of other races. After the Glasgow run at the start of September I decided to take a month off to try to shake it, so had my first run since then last night (run home from work, about 6 miles) and felt ok.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
you won't lose that much, nothing to worry about and besides if you still have a few weeks then you will be fine :d

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
If your training has been regular then a week or two off has little effect. I've had a hamstring niggle since the Edinburgh 10k in May, but hadn't really taken time off because of other races. After the Glasgow run at the start of September I decided to take a month off to try to shake it, so had my first run since then last night (run home from work, about 6 miles) and felt ok.
That's reassuring I am half way through the second week of an injury which is taking a while to mend and looks like it could well be a month.

Am doing exercise bike work to try to maintain fitness a little so hopefully by the time I get back I will be able to pick up somewhere reasonable.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I found I lost my 'race sharpness' during a 2 week recovery period I had, I then returned to training for a week before going on hols for another week. By the time I got back into training I felt quite a bit slower - though the good thing is it doesn't take long to regain any fitness lost.

Then again I guess everyone is different eh!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I'm in the latter stages of a cold now and I'm going to run with a club tomorrow evening. I didn't run last week because my cold felt like it was at its 'peak'. I think you should know if you're not well enough to run - just take it easy if you have to is all I say :)

Annoying how it always seems to be in the few weeks before a big event, though!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats a relief, might try a 3mile run tomorrow and hopefully get right back into things just feel a bit fustrated right now

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
did a 3 mile run tonight, had a bit of a dry cough and had to blow my nose a few times when i finished but all in all i felt ok, thanks for the advice people:happy:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Brilliant glad the run went well and you are getting back into it :d

1 - 15 of 15 Posts