Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just my luck,I have come down with a cold today,4 days before my 1st ever race.

I was going to run an easy 3/4 miles tonight and the same again on Friday,but I`m now not sure that I should.

Any advice from you experienced lot would be appreciated.

I was hoping to run aroud 55 minutes,but not sure that will happen now.

Cheers Dave.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Always difficult to call this.
With any luck by Sat you'll be feeling a lot better and by Sunday you'll be up for it. If not though you could still run at an easy pace but as it is your 1st race it might not be wise as you could end up feeling negative about running.
There's always another race to enter so missing this one would not be the end of the world.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Dave,

Sorry to hear you aren't on form. Nurse Bagbuss reckons that you should take it easy for the rest of the week, you have done the training, rest until Sunday. The only medication should be in a pint glass perhaps accompanied by a good curry?

Then see how you feel on Sunday, if you aren't up to it don't do it, if you are, then take it steady...at least you will be able to beat your time next race!

If you don't do it, maybe I will enter you for the Ladies Race as well........silk hanky with IPA embroidered on it???

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nurses,Silk hankies.Don`t start, you`ll have Steve back on this thread like lightning.

Strange as it may seem,I have had a Curry tonight and will be having a couple of pints when I log off.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Dave,
I agree having the rest of the week off and judging how you feel on the day won't do any harm. (Also agree with the pint and curry medication, though maybe not Saturday night ;) )
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Woke up this morning feeling ok.The cold seems to be short lived. Don`t know if i`ll do any light running tonight but I do know that I feel a lot more optimistic about Sunday.Can`t believe I actually feel quite nervous about running in a race that I am likely to finish behind 3/4 of the starters.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What a great day.Posted 53.39,which was better than I could hope for,went for a swim in the sea at Southend which I hadn`t done for 30 years,had a few beers in the town ,came home for some dinner and will be having a few more beers later.

Could be late for work tomorrow !!!

Could never have done it without the support and advice from you all on this forum.

Been a few laughs as well thanks to Steve & Lyn.

Thanks a million.

All the best.

Dave.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Well done Dave, knew you could do it. What a great time for a first 10k. Hope you have a few well deserved beers tonight!!!

Here's to one of many!

Well done, great effort,

Lyn.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for that everybody.

You two just cant leave it, can you.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Steve said:
Good run Dave...and in high heels too!!!!
Was posted before the sensible head went on!
Must admit I prefer the nonsense head...more interesting and keeps me sane sat here at work!
There ought to be a "Fancy Dress Drag 10k".....think I'd go as Norma Jean!
Over to you Dave....

·
Registered
813 Posts
Dave,

The Pink furry outfit may be a bit 'warm'....not much good for getting a PB.

But I'm sure I could find something to suit you!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts