Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`m entered in this one on Sunday.

I haven`t be able to train properly for 3 weeks or so now.(calf Problem).

but I have run 3 races in that time,and run them really well.

They have been relatively short runs. 2 x 5k Trails,and last weeks 5 Mile.

The injury has seemed to loosen up as I have run the first half mile or so and then come back with a bit a vengeance the next day.

I have rested since Tuesday and I hope this might be enough,but the calf is still sore and I wouldn`t be suprised if this was my first DNF.

Or maybe I will just Walk it if I have to.........................:d

If I do manage to get round I really should look at having 2/3 weeks rest to see if it sorts the problem out for good.

Sorry for the long ramble..........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Good luck Dave. I look forward to you getting to the line of a 1/2m fully fit soon, as I think you'll batter your PB when you do.....

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Boys.

I hope so LJ.........One Day.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sombody on this forum(maybe Trinity) once said."If it dosn`t kill you it will make you stronger."

Well this morning I am stronger.

This was without doubt the hardest run I have ever been through.

Not because the course was hard,it was as flat as you like.

Lack of training and the weather done for me.

For the first time ever,I walked during a race.

The first half of the race was fine,Calf problem not really giving cause for concern,and I found myself well inside PB territory which was a surprise.

Then I started to struggle.

Only 7 miles in and I could feel my legs getting really tired.

Walked a couple of hundred yards in mile 8,and did the same again in mile 9.

How I picked myself up from that point I still don`t really know.

Didn`t look at the Garmin again,Just tried to concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other in some kind of running motion.

The last 3 miles were the hardest of my relatively short running life.

Even the last couple of hundred yards to the line felt and looked like another mile.

Got to the line,found a place to collapse,and stayed there for a good 10 minutes with a bottle of water getting myself back together.

Finished with a time of 1:56:40 (unofficial). 2 minutes outside PB.

My legs are pretty sore this morning.

Have got a 5k on Wednesday.Think I might just jog round.......

Anyway here are the split times of a dying runner.

I will learn to pace myself in long races one day...............:rolleyes:

I hope reading this wasn`t as painful as my run................:d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Sorry to read it went like that yesterday Dave.
As you said lack of training and the weather were the cause so you know it was a one off rather than you personally failing, if you get my gist!

Still did a good time though..2mins outsidea pb in such circs isn't bad at all...so well done you.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers Steve.

The thing is,I will take a lot from Yesterday in terms of what I`m capable of mentally and physically when things are not going well.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hey Dave,

I felt the pain as I read through your race report. I've been in this place a couple of times in my running life too and it is the mind that hurts as much as the body.

Well done for battling to the finish.

Unfortunately fitness is lost more easily that it is built. It a bit like weight in that way but the other way round :(

But you'll be back stronger and faster, you just need to be patient and get yourself injury free.

And I agree with Steve, to run within 2 minutes of your PB, with an injury and the connected lack of training, on a bloody hot day is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
They say you learn more in defeat than victory.........Who are "They" btw?.....

Not exactly a defeat Dave but you do learn from adversity.....break that 1hour 50 later in the year..when it is cool.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Tough race for you, Dave. Sometimes I have a really bobbins run on a training run and pray that it never happens during a real race - looks like you had one of those days. If this had been your first race you'd probably never race again, but you know it's just one of them days. Hope you get back to your best again soon:)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Unlucky fella, still ...... if it's any consolation (and I hope it is) I'd swap you shocking time :p and race for any of my half marathon times anyday !! :d

Pecker up.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Don't worry Dave you will soon be back on form........you are still faster than me!:d
There is a ladies race at the end of this month that I might do, fancy joining me?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bagpuss said:
There is a ladies race at the end of this month that I might do, fancy joining me?
I don`t think I`ve got anything to wear Lyn......:d

Whatever Granty says........

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don`t encourage him.................

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Granty said:
Unlucky fella, still ...... if it's any consolation (and I hope it is) I'd swap you shocking time :p and race for any of my half marathon times anyday !! :d

Pecker up.
Cheers Granty.

I`d swap my Half Marathon time for your Marathon finish Granty.........:d

1 - 20 of 51 Posts