Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've done a few 10K races and now want to work on increasing the speed during the races. I was wondering if any of you guys could suggest speed exercises that you believe really work?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hey there,

If you let us know what training you are already doing and what your last 10k time was, otherwise it's difficult to judge to be honest.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Probs! Last 10K road race was a mere 49 mins! Tend to do 2 running sessions a week between 5-10K distance with a running partner whos pace seems to be maxed out at the above time. For this reason i'm thinking of adding a further session in without my running partner and see where i'm at as i still have plenty of energy to sprint at the end! I do 2 weight sessions in the gym a week and a circuits class with the occassional swim.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Adding a third running session will help for sure. There's lots of ways to get quicker really.

If you are already running your 2 training runs pretty hard (I get that impression from your reply) I would suggest the 3rd session could be a longer slower session. As you don't want all your runs to be at high intensity otherwise you may get injured. Especially if your doing other intense training during a week.

Alternatively you could change one of your current runs to a slower longer run with your running buddy (say 12-14k?). Then you could do an interval session to work on your speed, so short bursts (2mins) at about 3-5k pace followed by a slow jog recovery for the same time.

Just consistently running 3 times a week will help you improve either way. I'd just be careful of adding intensity and distance at the same time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts