Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, i can run a 5km in around 19.50. but when it come to 10km it seems to always be around 43.30. how could i improve my 10km time?

thanks

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Sounds to me like you might be going off too fast on a 10k. Do you warm up sufficiently before a 10k race?

Maybe your training needs upping a bit so you've got the stamina to keep the pace up for the 2nd half of the 10k race.

Have you looked at your 10k splits and analysed where you slowed?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I agree with Trinity but would also add that you may need to do some longer than 10k training runs to assist with stamina.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Presuming that the courses are of a similar type. It is just a case of pacing yourself correctly as has already been said.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
usually i start off fairly slow in a 10km race. the first 5km would usually be around 22mins. then up it slightly over last 5k. i only tend to warm up around 1k just enough to start breathing better. would hill training help my time or do i need to do more miles?

thanks all

·
Registered
348 Posts
It sounds like you are actually going too slow for the 1st 5k to me in comparison to your 5k best. If you plug your 5k time into the calculator below your estimated 10k would be 41:12

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

So I would try and pace your 1st 5k in around 20:45 if possible. Currently you would have to run a pb in the second 5k to make up the time you lose in the 1st one! It's all dependant on your fitness levels though, as 10k requires more stamina than 5k.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
will have to try and do the first 5k in 20.45 then as i have a flat 10km race in great yarmouth on Sunday. will let you know how i do.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
running_4_ever said:
will have to try and do the first 5k in 20.45 then as i have a flat 10km race in great yarmouth on Sunday. will let you know how i do.
I'm away this weekend so can't do the GY 10k....you'll see plenty of my fellow club runners though...Lowestoft Road Runners.
Do you belong to a club?
Good luck Sunday.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
running_4_ever said:
yes i run with Norwich road runners. only run once a week though. are you club running the round Norfolk relay?
No we aren't. We are a fairly small club and although we tried to drum up interest geting 17 people to commit to the weekend proved impossible!

I have run it before though with my previous club and did the 4th stage I think of about 11miles.

Are you going to do The Scores race on 9/9 in Lowestoft....4.75m but with 409 steps...some up some down...described by waveney valley ac as arduous!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no thankgod! cant run with any steps!!! got about a 7mile leg near thetford forest. have to do that one because my dad will have to meet me after his leg!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts