1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Im trying to put together a program that will suit a few needs

1. Improve CV capacity
2. Increase speed over 1.5 miles to a respectable time (10 min for me)
3. move onto 3 miles once the above has been achieved
4. Slowly reduce bodyfat
5. build overall better leg development

My primary interest is bodybuilding and my days running will vary depending on weight training days. I will be running 2-3 times per week.

SO...the plan is...

1.5 mile jog 1-2 times per week aiming on decreasing or maintaining my PB time

i will also be doing some speed/interval training probably once every 10 days depending on how much it and that weeks leg weight session takes out my legs.

There is a park near me that is 3 footie pitch long. Ideal for sprints/interval training i think.

the numbers represent footie park lengths

6 warmup
1/2 slow jog, 1/2 full on sprint, 1/2 slow walk....repeat several times

I had this article pointed out to me on another forum. I adapted the idea from there to suit .

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459646

Any suggestions? SHould the sprintwork help improve my speed over the 1.5 miles

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
you never run personal bests on a training session...

i did 6.5 miles today in an hour but my personal best for 5 mile race was just over 33 minutes...

you see... massive difference...

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Revenged said:

i did 6.5 miles today in an hour but my personal best for 5 mile race was just over 33 minutes...

Why not? I always run my PBs in "training sessions", because I don't race, although I plan on changing that at some point. Although I guess I never totally push myself because I don't have the benefit of competition :p

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Revenged said:

Hi mate

I don tplan on running any comps or that, its just something i enjoy a bit of and also as an aid to health and my BB.

any ideas on how much i should aim to improve on each session to keep a slow but steady flow of progress to my goal of 1.5 miles in 10 min? im currently at 11 min 10 sec

Cheers

SJ

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
it's well off base for me if i'm honest... i'm not a body builder and not a sprinter either...

also fairly new to running... i've found speedwork a bit hard and i used to do loads of it but now i'm having a break from it... there is not much difference between my 'sprint' and my 'jog' so i found fartlets (alternate between jogs and runs) it bit useless... i can't really 'sprint' at all to be honest... as for 'tempo runs' (shorter run but faster) i just used this as an excuse to do a shorter run... i don't believe i ran then faster than normal... so my new training plan is going to be 4 x 5 miles and 1 x 6.5 miles (but i don't have much of a plan - i keep changing it)...

but i'm not sure what you should do... you see if you want to improve your CV fitness and lose body fat then it's distance you want to do... if you want to get leg muscles and only want to get to 10 minutes then sprints may work... i think you should do a bit of both... e.g. do one 1.5 mile speedwork run and one 3 mile run a week... but really what you do is up to you... !

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Revenged said:
it's well off base for me if i'm honest... i'm not a body builder and not a sprinter either...

also fairly new to running... i've found speedwork a bit hard and i used to do loads of it but now i'm having a break from it... there is not much difference between my 'sprint' and my 'jog' so i found fartlets (alternate between jogs and runs) it bit useless... i can't really 'sprint' at all to be honest... as for 'tempo runs' (shorter run but faster) i just used this as an excuse to do a shorter run... i don't believe i ran then faster than normal... so my new training plan is going to be 4 x 5 miles and 1 x 6.5 miles (but i don't have much of a plan - i keep changing it)...

but i'm not sure what you should do... you see if you want to improve your CV fitness and lose body fat then it's distance you want to do... if you want to get leg muscles and only want to get to 10 minutes then sprints may work... i think you should do a bit of both... e.g. do one 1.5 speedwork run and one 3 mile run a week... but really what you do is up to you... !
Some fair points there mate

Im capable of running 3 miles and im going to need to man up for longer distances soon...nice and slow and steady as you suggest. Maybe misguided, but i wanted to get my CV capacity up to what i deem a decent level at 1.5 miles before moving onto the 3 miles. I have neglected cardio for a long time! :rolleyes:

Im going to get up before work tomorrow and go for a speed/sprinting session so i will see how it goes.

SJ

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
sounds fine...

i was a bit like that actually when i started and still like that now - still very focused on speed...

most people goals seem to be just to run further and do marathons but mine have always been to run quicker...

no interest in doing longer races until i can properly run the 5k...

the goal posts keep changing though...

e.g. you'll be able to run 1.5 miles in 10 minutes and then you'd try to run it in 9 minutes ...etc.

good luck !

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I would presume that if you are a body builder, long runs will be extremely difficult. Didn't think the big muscle guys could handle much more than a 30 minute run. It seems that for what you want, you are better off doing sprint sessions and running the odd 3 miles. You're not that far off your goal of 10 minute for 1.5 miles, so you probably don't need to do lots of distance running.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JBBury said:
I would presume that if you are a body builder, long runs will be extremely difficult. Didn't think the big muscle guys could handle much more than a 30 minute run. It seems that for what you want, you are better off doing sprint sessions and running the odd 3 miles. You're not that far off your goal of 10 minute for 1.5 miles, so you probably don't need to do lots of distance running.
Hi Mate

Although i say my main hobby is bodybuilding, its a recreational hobby and im not particularly big although im shaped like one i suppose. Im about 14 stone.

It defo makes it harder for bulky guys to run longer distance, but i hope to see myself around the 14 stone mark and very lean being able to run 3-5 miles quite comfortably in time. Theres guys I speak to on other boards that are pretty damn big that are capable of some serious CV work. Very fit indeed for how bulky they are.

1.5 miles in 9 min seems impossible after how done in I was after doing it in 11 min 10 sec :embarrassed:

cheers

SJ

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did some sprint work after a day of pretty low carb intake. going to reduce and try and maintain about 100g per day mainly around workouts.

6 football pitch lengths warmup jog
50 yard jog, 50 yard all out sprint, 50 yard walk, 50 yard all out sprint
1 min rest
repeat another 3 times

That was tough work. I genuinley went all out on every sprint and by number 8 i was really feeling it. I planned on going up to 10 sprints but my saving grace was the fotball starting.

Next run will be a light steady jog at the weekend depending on leg weight training which is scheduled for Saturday morning at the moment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts