Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been three times to my local running club's track sessions (intervals of 300,500 & 800m). I've really enjoyed these BUT have found that this running has completely trashed my legs so that I have struggled to walk, never mind run, for the next day or two and prob 4 days til completely recover. This means that on the weeks I have been, I have ended up doing a lot less running for the rest of the week, so overall mileage is down.

Do you guys think I am just too new to running to be doing this type of training (been running for about 3 months now)? Would I be better off increasing my "base" mileage first ie keeping it slow but trying to go further? Or will my legs get used to the speedier stuff after a few more sessions?

In a bit of a quandry cos I have enjoyed the sessions, I suppose as much for the social thing as anything but don't want to knacker myself so much that I can't do my normal running or risk injury.

Help?!?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Usually the rule of thumb is mileage over speed first. Some say that its best to wait until you have built up a base mileage of 25 mpw. The muscle pain you are experiencing is probably DOMs. The problem with speedwork at club is I often find I try and keep up with the faster ones.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I think that I'd opt for mileage before doing too much speed work, I guess that you could 'slow' down just a little in the speed sessions if it's taking that long to recover but you still wish to go and do them.

What is your weekley mileage?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Perhaps replace the 800mtr intervals initially with just alternating between the 300 and 500 instead. Make sure that when you are on your recovery in between that you do slow down enough to recover properly. It won't be long before you step up to the 800mtrs again and will probably feel more comfortable, but still feel as if you've worked hard enough, in the days after your session. I would also recommend a very slow short run the day after such a session, if you are not doing so already. :)
Don't burn yourself out Goslow, take it gradually and the improvements will keep on coming.:d

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had been doing one longer run of about 4-5 miles then two or three of 2-3 miles per week. So nowhere near the 25 miles per week mark!!

SE, you are right about trying to keep up - in my case not necessarily the faster ones, just with anyone.

But maybe could compromise by working on building up the slow miles and doing the track sessions every 2-3 weeks, but possibly not push myself so hard on those occasions?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
GoSlow said:
But maybe could compromise by working on building up the slow miles and doing the track sessions every 2-3 weeks, but possibly not push myself so hard on those occasions?
Sounds like a good compromise, beside after 3 more months, I bet you weekly mileage goes up and you find the speed sessions easier.

Like HF says, just be careful and take it easy!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I always treat my club runs like speed sessions - tempo runs because I always run faster on club nights than when I do on my own. Also if I do a treadmill session I try and gradually increase my speed unitl its just outside my comfort zone.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
My club runs are like SE's....tempo runs. Something called testosterone I think!

Our speed/hill sessions are alternate Thursdays...speed tonight for example. As we all stay as a group it doesn't matter when the slowest of us finishes the rep as he/she will always still be part of the group.

It is important not to overdo these sessions though....they take a while to get used to and I would agree that it is probably best for you to build up mileage, stamina and strength before concentrating on speed work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would build up very carefully, three months running is not very long. Do you vary your runs to include hills once a week and different terrain (cross country as well as road) so that you work different muscles. But most importantly I would make sure you work in a routine of stretches afterwards and maybe before a run as well. Track sessions can be very intense, becareful that you don't do too much to quick and end up with an injury. If you find your muscles aching after a session, where you cannot lift them to run, stretching,ice and rest, and a massage will quicken up your recovery.

Lizzie

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Sage advice Lizze I remember my first speed session almost a year ago - my quads were sore for a week afterwards. I've recently started including some speed sessions in preparation for my next half on Sunday as I wanted to improve my stamina at running slightly faster. I usually run 11/10 minute miles but in shorter races I've been able to maintain a slightly faster pace so I've been working towards running at 9 min miles on a treadmill. Its been hard work but afterwards I've felt energised and not sore. Psychologically though I find I do break it down into small chunks of time by telling myself just one more minute otherwise I want to give in during the first couple of minutes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good luck for your next half Edwina, I hope you achieve the time you want.

I find the first 15 mins the worst in any run, as you say there is always that feeling that you could give up at any moment. After that I can usually run as long as I want to.

Lizzie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts