Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could I ask for some advice?

I'm doing my first 10k in a few weeks and I would like to know how speed up, I can currently run that distance at 10 minute mile pace, if I run a shorter distance I can run about 8-9 minute miles. But I can't at the moment keep that speed for 10k. I started running just less than 3 months ago, and I realise that I will get faster in time, I'm just not sure how to achieve it for my 10k which is coming up.

I don't know if I should try to start running faster in short bursts during my training runs, has anyone got any ideas? I'm doing about 4 runs a week which are between 5 - 8 miles each time.

Thank you

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi Dimple

I've just been looking up the topic of running faster on the ol' interweb - I've decided it's time to start working on changing my name to Not-quite-as-slow-as-he-was-Steve. Catchy eh?;)

It seems that interval training and tempo runs are the way forward, but I'm not sure about the best way to start doing them. i.e. doing enough to make a difference but not going so mad that you end up in A&E after the first one.

So, hopefully someone will point you in the right direction and enlighten me at the same time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I have got a 10k coming up in two weeks as well and am desperate to get my speed up. Last year I was running at 7 minute miles and I am now back down to 8 minute miles.
I have just got back from a 3 mile run, which i ran two minutes normal then two minutes sprint, all the way round, and I have managed to get my time down to 7.2 minute mile pace. So it does work, and I know it will get easier with time. Although it did nearly kill me, also we have alot of rapeseed in the fields near us and it is really affecting my breathing. (thats my excuse anyway). Any training tips to help get speed up would be very useful.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Hill reps! If you're short on time before a race it's the quickest way to build some speed.

Find a hill and (after a 1 mile warm up) run hard up the hill for about 2 minutes, then jog down to recover. Repeat until you've done 10 hills. 1 mile jog to warm down.

The following week, same day, do the same with 12 hill reps.

The following week do the same with 14 hill reps.

But don't do any during the week before your race

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Truz said:
Hi I have got a 10k coming up in two weeks as well and am desperate to get my speed up. Last year I was running at 7 minute miles and I am now back down to 8 minute miles.
I have just got back from a 3 mile run, which i ran two minutes normal then two minutes sprint, all the way round, and I have managed to get my time down to 7.2 minute mile pace. So it does work, and I know it will get easier with time. Although it did nearly kill me, also we have alot of rapeseed in the fields near us and it is really affecting my breathing. (thats my excuse anyway). Any training tips to help get speed up would be very useful.
Quite honestly, I don't think you have time to make any real changes in the two weeks before a race. But don't fret about it...just train as you would do and relax, you might just surprise yourself on the day :)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice Trinity. I will do that, normally hills kill me on runs, never thought to just concentrate on them alone. I will definitely give it a go.:)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slowsteve said:
Hi Dimple

i.e. doing enough to make a difference but not going so mad that you end up in A&E after the first one.
Thought I was going to end up in A & E myself tonight after the run I've just had. Went out with club they very nearly killed me:eek:

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
dimple said:
Went out with club they very nearly killed me:eek:
That's not very nice of them. Are things really that rough down in englandchestershire???

If after only 3 months of training you are able to do 8 miles with relative ease I'd say your progress was pretty damn good and that the speed will come in time. The other things to keep in mind is that your race pace is faster than you normal pace.

Failing that I could don my best pervert gear and chase you!!!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Squint said:
That's not very nice of them. Are things really that rough down in englandchestershire???

If after only 3 months of training you are able to do 8 miles with relative ease I'd say your progress was pretty damn good and that the speed will come in time. The other things to keep in mind is that your race pace is faster than you normal pace.

Failing that I could don my best pervert gear and chase you!!!
Ha ha, it may just work though :p

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Slowsteve said:
tempo runs are the way forward
Aren't tempo runs what we used to call "fartlek" in the 80s? Could never say it without grinning:d

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
zanshin said:
Aren't tempo runs what we used to call "fartlek" in the 80s?

No, I don't think so. I take "tempo run" to mean a run of a pre-determined distance at a pre-determined pace... Usually over a distance at which a faster-than-race-pace can be maintained.
Fartlek is an informal/unstructured version of an interval session, employing the use of fast/slow sections spread throughout a run.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts