Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had my first go at speed work/intervals tonight and it nearly killed me! it was meant to be a normal jog but having my partner with me who runs a lot quicker made me want to sprint which I couldnt keep up for long. I ended up sprinting for 30s then jogging, sprinting again then jogging, and finally trying to increase my stride to stretch my legs out. By the time I made it to the 1 mile mark I couldnt go on and the sweat was pouring off me.

How much impact does this kind of training have on your running?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I had my first go at speed work/intervals tonight. By the time I made it to the 1 mile mark I couldnt go on and the sweat was pouring off me. How much impact does this kind of training have on your running?
You sound as though you were doing these intervals far too fast. You should never do them at maximum speed, never more than 95% effort, and the last one should be done at the same rate as the first. Save the 100% effort for races. If done properly they will raise your overall cruising speed and race pace. Done incorrectly they'll only lead to fatigue and possible injury.
Cheers!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You sound as though you were doing these intervals far too fast. You should never do them at maximum speed, never more than 95% effort, and the last one should be done at the same rate as the first. Save the 100% effort for races. If done properly they will raise your overall cruising speed and race pace. Done incorrectly they'll only lead to fatigue and possible injury.
Cheers!
Well thats me told! lol I dont know what I was doing to be honest, I was just having a go at running faster rather than just plodding along and I think I did go a bit mad, is it worth having a heart rate monitor?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I was just having a go at running faster rather than just plodding along and I think I did go a bit mad, is it worth having a heart rate monitor?
I've never taken to a heart rate monitor. I tried one once but figured it was preventing me from training as hard as I needed, so abandoned it in favour of my own judgment. From results achieved I think my judgment paid off! I reckon they're for people who are frightened of hurting themselves! Surely it's easy enough to judge whether you're running to the limit, or a little below, or a lot below, without some bit of gadgetry having to tell you. I've trained and raced with some pretty good runners in my time and, to my knowledge, not one of them used a heart rate monitor. The likes of Bannister and Zatopek seemed to manage quite well without them - or any other gimmicks.
Anyhow, as I said previously, repetition runs, done sensibly, will raise your overall cruising speed. As an example, until recently I haven't done any speed work since last December. I've been running a hilly six mile route that has regularly taken me 55 - 56 minutes. Once a week for the last three weeks I've been doing repetition runs over about 120 yards across my local cricket field at a fast but comfortable pace with slow jog recoveries. The most I've done in one session is twelve reps. Yesterday I went for my regular six mile run and came home in 52 minutes. Not only was I faster but it felt quite a bit easier too.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Apropos the above, I was out running the same six mile route this morning before it rained, and caught up with another early morning runner. We ran together for about a quarter of a mile and just as our paths diverged we introduced ourselves. It transpired he was a senior coach with UK Athletics! What a pity my brain isn't as fast as my feet. I could have picked his brains on all sorts of things - including heart rate monitors.
Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts