Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all! Yesterday presented me with one of my most interesting training sessions yet. Speedwork on a track!

I was well aware there was an athletics track 1.6miles from my house, and recently I learnt that for a small fee, members of the public could use it. So I jogged there to warm up paid my £3.10, and walked out onto a completely empty, yet seemingly brand spanking new athletics track! I was honestly amazed by it all such a bizarre feeling. As I stepped onto the track I couldn't believe how springy it was - and set about getting ready to do my session.

The plan was 3 x 1.5miles (6 laps, and another 12m) at my target 10k pace - 5:47/mi (13secs faster than my 10k PB pace). Rest was scheduled as 90secs, but I wasn't too bothered about that.

Right... so I started 12m back from the finish line, knowing that then I would finish bang on the finish line (makes sense huh?)... I accepted I may end up running a little further as they don't allow people to train on lanes 1 & 2 in an attempt to try and preserve the track. Anyway, I'd printed off my split times and stuck them to my garmin, so I could check my pace each time I crossed the finish line to do another lap; off I went...

Completed the first lap, 3secs ahead of goal pace - perfect, I knew I'd lose a little time as the laps went by... second lap finished, 3secs behind goal pace... D'oh! pushed a bit harder, next lap - 6 secs behind goal pace... I started pushing bloody hard thinking "I'll NEVER be able to keep this up in a 10k race!!!" and crossed the finish line 10seconds behind my goal time for that rep - I couldn't believe it! I was gutted! I had pushed BLOOMIN HARD, although I knew I may have been a little tired from Saturdays effort.

Anyway, I walked around trying to catch my breath and scratching my head... there was no way I could put in that same effort for the remaining two 1.5mile repetitions! So I decided to go into analytical mode and went into the Garmins menu to see what was what.

In no time at all I was sighing with relief - running in the 3rd lane had added an extra 0.1miles on! I was then pleasantly surprised to see I'd managed the 1.5miles at an average pace of 5:33/mi :) The two remaining reps I carried out much closer to goal pace (though I flagged a bit because of my extra effort in the first one)

Saddest thing was... you really start to get a sense of what it must be like for the professional track athletes... I have to admit that on my last rep I had thoughts of Seb Coe in my mind and what it must feel like entering the home straight on the last lap in front of a massive crowd - so I finished as strong as I could - I was Seb Coe :cool:

Once I'd finished, I thought it'd be rude not to try a 100m dash heheh... managed just under 14secs... great fun!

Anyways, sorry to bore you all with what you probably thought was going to be a really interesting thread on speedwork and track training, but was actually just about my training session yesterday. LOL!

I would be really interested to hear anyone elses thoughts on track training, and if they've tried it... and if anyone has a track near to them? I was simply gobsmacked that I could use the track alone - and that nobody else was there?!? Crazy!

·
Registered
516 Posts
They have a track at my local gym, which happens to be operated by the council. The track is regularly used for athletics meets, etc, but anytime I have been at the gym it is empty. Three quid will get you as long as you want on it, and it is a very decent track (and little grandstand to boot). I have used it a couple of times and it is pretty cool. Now whenever I am using a treadmill I watch the display tell me I have 400m left, 300m left, and I visualise one lap to go, now round last bend, here comes the second last straight... great fun!

Good to hear you smashed your times!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Evening Richard,

Interesting post and I think tracks are great for even road runners, because:

a). No cars
b). No camber
c). Most importantly, opportunity to reduce stress on the joints. For high intensity reps/intervals this is even more pertinent due to the greater ground forces because your greater running speed. We do plenty of sessions on the road to prime our joints and tissues for our road events. So by doing one high intensity and impact session on a track each week, we wont loose this, but reduce the risk of sustaining injuries.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
There is a running track at the sports centre up the road from me. As I'm a member of the local council's gym, I can use the track for free, but haven't used it for training yet. My local 10km & half marathon finish on the track and its such a relief getting onto the track after being on the tarmac for the rest of the race.

My running club just do intervals on a quite stretch of pavement and we have interval markers at 400m, 600m, 800m, 1km and 1 mile, so we can do a variety of training.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i have heard running on a track becomes very boring RS... have never been on an athletics track before and i'm not too keen on running round in circles being timed... i will give it a try when i go back to uni - i am moving back to central london and it's probably the worst place on the planet to try to run in :(... think i've got to try different things... i'd probably run on the track with other people but i have mixed feeling about this - may sound anti-social but i prefer running on my own... i have got to admit that i've been enjoying running more without the races... my pace is so varied and unpredictable that i've stopped stressing about pace tbh... tempo runs are a form of therapy for me and i can surprise myself sometimes but i need to be in the mood for it though - i only run fast when i really stressed out or pissed off so that's why it's like therapy... really can't do tempo runs in central london... would have to cross roads every 10 seconds or run to a park and try doing speedwork there but knowing me i wouldn't bother with that... may have no choice but to use an athletics track for speedwork... if i hate the track sessions i may just ditch speedwork... will have to rethink things how much i run - i certainly won't be bothered to run 40 miles a week with the 9-5...

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Did you not have a go at the long jump too? I love atheletic tracks. I would be so happy if there were one near me. I could happily run around for hours timing myself. I think I would actually prefer it to road running.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Did you not have a go at the long jump too? I love atheletic tracks. I would be so happy if there were one near me. I could happily run around for hours timing myself. I think I would actually prefer it to road running.

The public can use the one at Meadowbank Stadium when it's not in use by running clubs- think it's about £3 or free if you are a member of Edinburgh Leisure. I haven't used it yet but it has crossed my mind for the winter. Of course its not so handy if you are on the west of the city but it's just a thought. :)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you not have a go at the long jump too?
I most certainly would have if I could have ;) They had some big metal thing over the sand pit :(

I have to say I felt a bit weird being on there with my 'trainers' on though; it felt like I was running on sponge or jelly?... I was almost a little unbalanced?! I felt like I needed something less substantial on my feet like my racing shoes or maybe even some track spikes :eek:

I can imagine track work could become boring over time... pretty similar scenery each time round, lol. Though I don't tend to think too much about the scenery if I'm doing intervals - my minds too busy thinking about how much my legs hurt :lol:

Revenged - Glad to hear you're enjoying your running a lot more now - I can see how the competitive element of running puts some people off, it's very easy to become obsessive about it and as you've mentioned in the past - you start to lose touch with running for enjoyment. For me though it's the battle to improve that keeps me motivated :)

Grant - My running club does very similar in the winter... we have one stretch of road we use for 800m and another for 1mile (well 0.95mile). I miss the winter training sessions, we seem to just amble along across fields now stopping every 2mins for kissing-gates & styles. Actually writing it, it sounds lovely! lol. Maybe I'm just a miserable git :p

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Sounds great RS! The club I hope to join in a couple of weeks has a track, not sure if the road runners use it much though since the club as track training nights as well for the track runners.
Do I see someone heading off to buy some spikes now? :) Do you think you will use the track again for your interval stuff?

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm definately going to review my speedwork - I set out my sessions to cover a certain race distance (or at least work up to it) at that race pace, but split into intervals... so I'd run 3k, at 3k pace... in say 8x400m... But is it worth me using the track for the sake of 8 laps? or even worse, 4 laps if I'm training at 1500m pace?!

Worth looking into I think - but I need to better understand what speedwork sessions bring what improvements to my running, and learn what my body can withstand in terms of number of reps at what pace, and also how much rest I should be putting in between reps. Additionally there's a park 1.3mi from me that's more or less bang on 800m for a lap, so I have been using that until now, though it's not as flat as a track ;)

As for track spikes... the thought has crossed my mind :lol: I certainly don't need any, but any excuse to buy something running related! lol.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Richard and all, allow me to share this moment with you. This is me getting pipped at the line by our 10 year old girl on a 100m sprint! Enough said about track training for me:) I don't know how to display the pic on the thread which I tried to do so I added it as an attachment.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
As for track spikes... the thought has crossed my mind :lol: I certainly don't need any, but any excuse to buy something running related! lol.
Be careful with spikes Richard. Personally I've never felt the need for them. Without them I've clocked some pretty fast times on the track and beaten a lot of runners who were wearing them. I've also known runners leave the track limping and with sore calf muscles after racing in spikes. They don't suit everyone. Then again, I suppose you're young enough!
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Look how far you're leaning back rob... there's a flaw in a running style if I ever did see one :p Notice how the young lady has a perfect sprinting stance ;) lol.

Thanks for the tip runningfox... I may just try my racers instead - I certainly haven't planned to do any track races (at least not at the moment!) so as I say there's certainly no need for them. As a heel/midfoot striker it might make sense for me to keep some cushioning under me anyway.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'd agree with Running Fox Richard. I'd stick to lightweights or racers unless you start track racing. Even then, I think you'll find most people will generally only wear spikes some of the time when training to avoid injury.

I go down to my local track in Southwark in London sometimes and generally I'm the only person using it, which is a bit sad with London 2012 looming (though to be honest the track isn't in the best state). I love doing track work personally, but my groin keeps pinging everytime I do anything quicker at the moment :(

Just to let you know running in the 3rd lane will add about 16 metres per lap, I remember reading it is about +8 metres per lane you work outwards.

& Rob, you definitely need to work on the dip finish!!!! :)

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I certainly haven't planned to do any track races (at least not at the moment!).
Give it a go Richard. Some people think it the Ultima Thule so far as racing's concerned. You really get the sense of a big occasion, though it's a lot more disciplined and with a lot more protocol which some find a bit daunting (including me!). I've raced at Don Valley stadium and Alexander stadium in Birmingham after big International meets and there's an incredible aura about those places. Just walking onto the track gives you a real buzz, knowing you're following in the footprints of the Greats, and the resultant adrenalin rush forces out the best in you. Winning a medal of any colour in those circumstances is something to be proud of. And, as LazyJones just said, 2012 is looming up!
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Rob, you're never going to win against the i-robot...look at her, she is hovering which reduces the amount of drag/friction and in return makes her faster. :)

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just to let you know running in the 3rd lane will add about 16 metres per lap, I remember reading it is about +8 metres per lane you work outwards.
16m? is that all? D'oh! lol... my garmin measured an extra 0.10miles over the course of 6laps+12metres, though I guess there's scope for error with the GPS since accuracy depends on satellite signal strength...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts