Runners Forum banner

Spikes / No Spikes

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Fulmar 
#1 ·
Hi guys :)

I am starting my specific track sessions today, having as a goal for this season going under 10'00'' for the 3.000m steeplechase.

My best time is 10'04''8 and I did that some 8 years ago.
I used to do all my track sessions with spikes then.
Later I heard from a South African runner (3'42'' PB for 1.500m) that track sessions should be done without spikes. He only used them for racing.

What is your view on this?

I am going to do 10x200m tonight and I will have my spikes on but I am considering using them only on shorter reps and not, for example, on 1000m ones...

All advice welcome :) Thanks

Discussion starter · #4 ·
:)
Thanks for your replies.

Dan, he said that it would be good to prevent injuries. He sometimes trained with Mbulaeni Mulaudzi but I am not sure what was his approach. We lost contact when the forum where we met suddenly stopped working.

If anyone wants to check his progress, I remember his first name was Francois (it's ok to tell it here as he never hid his identity on the forum - nickname there was "legolas").

Francois also never gave it all when doing reps. He said that if you could do, say, 10x400m for 70'', you should be doing them for 72'' finishing with one or two at 71'', 70'' (I have no idea what sort of times he did but probably closer to 1 minute) ;)
This way you wouldn't be dead the next day and you could be fully recovered for the next track/hill session.

steepler, I don't do much water jump practice because I train on an old track and can't get water in it and when I tried to do it without the water I found I was very scared before jumping, the technique went and I landed badly. But definitely, not something to do without spikes ;)

When I started training, 11 years ago, I saw all the guys doing reps with spikes (apart from the longer distances - > 1500m).
Personally I find that they help my form when training, especially on the 200s and 300s.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
That's what I thought... But most people seem to disagree... Even that South African guy...

Anyway, an injury is preventing me from very fast running so I won't be putting spikes on for a while :confused:

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Thanks sensible :)
I changed goals for the season as I can't do the very fast running required for what I wanted (a sub 10'00'' steeplechase). I guess I will do my second marathon soon :)

In my first years of running I always did all reps with spikes but now, when I do it more than once a week it takes my calves ages to recover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.