Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's almost track time again!
What spikes are you people wearing this season?
I have a pair of Brooks Z1 for this season.:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
A pair of Nike Ventulus most of the time. Were giving me slight blisters under ball of the foot but now seem okay.

ASICS hyper MD for shorter races where I need a more aggressive spike plate.

Thinking about getting a pair of Asics either Japan Thunder or Turbo Phantom, either would be good, but can't make my mind up!

Appreciate this is a very old original post, but it is an interesting discussion to get into!

What do people reckon for track races over 3k, 5k and 10k, spikes or flats?

For me, it's spikes over 3k, depends if I have another event later for 5k and flats for 10k.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ah the Kilkenny, nice spike from what I've heard. Is going to get very dirty over a XC course though.

I'm using the PUMA ngongs for XC over muddy courses, and a pair of lighter saucony track spikes with short spikes in for dryer/grassy/small sections of road courses.

Sounds like I have hundreds of pairs, but I normally get about 2pairs a year and just keep them forever, when I've finished using them as track spikes use 'em for XC!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tough one this, are you after a sprint spike or a middle / long distance spike? How much do you want to spend?
The Asics Hyper range is always great value the MD and the Sprint give excellent value, or you could go for the Japan range, the elite range £80 upwards. I guess it would depend on how much use you are going to get out of them. Asics XC at £ 40 a good x-country shoe.
From Mizuno again you have the club range of spike starting from £35 and then elite the range of shoes from about £70, they also do a great XC spike. Personally i prefer the Mizuno, lighter and more flexible, but that's just me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
can see you're a bit of a spikes buff Luke!

I'm probably going for the Japan Thunder, but the turbo phantom ( not in the japan range, but it's their elite MD spike together with the japan litening and the thunder) does look very nice!

Thankfully I'm on the asics potentials program so I get the spike at the same price as the shop does. £50 I think for the elite spikes! Given a choice I might go for the Nike Miler or Eldoret II ( available for a decent price at start fitness actually).

The only problem with MIzuno is that their best spikes I think they keep in Japan!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Having not used spikes before I need a little help !

I have been offered (free of charge) a brand new pair of spikes, still in box with tags. These I am told are 'Adidas zoom swift - running spikes'. Does any know, or is there a way of telling if they are sprint or distance spikes, and would they be ok for cross country?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dale the Snail said:
Having not used spikes before I need a little help !

I have been offered (free of charge) a brand new pair of spikes, still in box with tags. These I am told are 'Adidas zoom swift - running spikes'. Does any know, or is there a way of telling if they are sprint or distance spikes, and would they be ok for cross country?

If they have some heel on them you will be allright.
How old are they? Spikes can go 'off' if they have been stored badly.

·
Registered
64 Posts
yeah, the zoom swift are nikes, reputedly a very good spike, my trainin partner insists that he likes racing with them on rather than anything else, and they must be doing something right as he's run 1:51 for 800 this season!!

Generally...no heel-sprint spike, some heel- middle or long distance spike.

How'd you get a free pair though?!??!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Bryn

My brother who lives some distance from me, does a bit of buying and selling. I will telephone him tonight and ask about the heel. If none, it will save me the postage cost.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dale-

don't knock sprint spikes, if you want to do some really fast paced stuff on the track they can be good, and if you run on your toes anyway then the heels almost negligible.

Don't use them for more than 800m, but certainly for really short stuff they can be great. I'm looking into getting a pair at the moment just so that when I need to do stuff of less than 400 or relay legs it helps.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well, problem solved.

I got the spikes today and they are to small.

They are unused, still in the box, but they do look old ones.
( As used by Fred Flintstone ) They are Adidas Speeder. Don't know where he got Zoom Swift from.

Any way they don't fit, so he told me to put them on ebay for him.

Thanks for your help and advise guys. I now know what to look for in the future.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kilkenny looks like a great spike.
You can also say 'Oh my god, they killed kenny' at the end of races ala South park!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts