Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a 4 mile run with SWMBO yesterday I went to the gym to take part in a spinning class. Hard work on the old pins but made a nice change to my Sunday am routine.

Does anyone else take part in gym classes?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Never been a member of a gym in my life.........:(

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I joined a gym recently so I could do some treadmill work. I've not witnessed a spinning class but I've heard them and its sounds like hard work. I've done yoga, pilates and something called body balance and I use the swimming pool.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I've never done a gym class in my life, but go to the gym 2-3 times a week, depending on how much running I am doing.

I know a lot of people who do spinning classes and they always seem to have good things to say about them.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grant said:
I've never done a gym class in my life, but go to the gym 2-3 times a week, depending on how much running I am doing.

I know a lot of people who do spinning classes and they always seem to have good things to say about them.
It was the first gym class I've attended...normally I just use the gym equipment.

Give it go sometime it was good hard work.....music a bit loud for my liking but apart form that it was fun.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
admin said:
What exactly does spinning involve? Something to do with exercise bikes?
Basically it's non stop cycling to loud music on exercise bikes with a leader telling you to increase/decrease the tension, cycle to the beat..either fast or slow, stand in the pedals or sit on the seat and lean forwards/stay upright.

No time to rest ( well just about enough between tracks to take a drink and towel down) and the session lasts about 50mins with a cool down and stretch at the end. There were about 25 people in the class...a mix of men and women....and you can tell who do the class on a regular basis ....they just keep going and damn fast too!!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Good god - that sounds almost as bad as circuit training, I naively assumed is was something where you grabbed a bar and twisted the torso !

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used to be a member of the gym and tended to use the regular gym equipment and the pool. Classes i took were things like yoga and pilates which were fantastic for me as I have a slight niggle in my lower back. I have however never been brave enough to take on a spinning class and am not a member of a gym anymore - so got out of that one!! You're doing great if you can conquer a spinning class!

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Steve said:
It was the first gym class I've attended...normally I just use the gym equipment.

Give it go sometime it was good hard work.....music a bit loud for my liking but apart form that it was fun.
The sheer volume of the music from the spinning class puts me off, which is a bit rich coming from a heavy metal fan.

flakey said:
Usually plenty laydees present to take my mind off the pain.

flake
That may make up for things tho'!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Grant said:
The sheer volume of the music from the spinning class puts me off, which is a bit rich coming from a heavy metal fan
The geezer who takes my class plays some classic HM: Iron Maiden - run to the hills; motorhead - ace of spades(of course) and a bit of nirvana.

I find spinning great for fitness but sometimes feel they can lead to upper thigh injuries due to the explosive nature of the sprints.

Flakey

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
This sounds like real fun, never seen classes near me though but i dont go to a gym that might be why.
I have a gym in my garage or should i say my garage is a gym, i dont lift the weights though my other half does that bit, but i have my own treadmill in there and radio so if i cant get out i go in there and have a run.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We had heavy metal on Sunday and plenty of of laydees.........

I think the class on Sunday did for me at last night's training run as I just couldn't get going..thighs were shot.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts