Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you spit when you run? Me too. It's strange, if I'm in the gym on a treadmill I never (thank goodness) feel the need for a good spit. Once I'm out on the road though I'm at it all the time! Must be something to do with fresh air or pollen or something.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Nope... I don't. But that's an interesting point about not needing to when running on the dreadmill. Therefore there shouldn't be any need to while running outside

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Can`t be many who don`t have the odd gob during a run.

Just a matter of being a bit discrete about it surely..............:embarrassed:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trinity said:
Nope... I don't. But that's an interesting point about not needing to when running on the dreadmill. Therefore there shouldn't be any need to while running outside
I'd have thought so too but I still feel the need when outside.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Same for me. On the treadmill there is no need, but on the road i need to about once every 2 miles or so.

I don't like doing it, or seeing other people doing it so i try and do it when noone is about. Taking a drink on a run would help i reckon though, i bought one of those water bottles shaped like a sort of doughnut yesterday so i'll have to try it.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I spit all the time when I'm running. Probably every 100/200m.
There are big differences between dreadmill running and proper (*ouch*) running. The air outside is [1]: usually colder, which stimulates salivary glands and sinuses, and [2]: the air is moving, which again, increases the rate at which the above glands produce their respective, er, secretions.
I'm unfortunate enough to suffer from exercise-induced rhinitis and something called post-nasal drip, which means that not only does my nose run (faster than I do), the excess snot flows down the back of my throat. If I don't clear my throat sufficiently or effectively enough, it can sometimes lead to me choking and retching. Hence my apparent overzealousness in clearing my mouth and throat. :embarrassed:

Apologies for the words "secretions", "snot", and "retching"; but they were essential to the plot.;)

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
pedestrian said:
I spit all the time when I'm running. Probably every 100/200m.
There are big differences between dreadmill running and proper (*ouch*) running. The air outside is [1]: usually colder, which stimulates salivary glands and sinuses, and [2]: the air is moving, which again, increases the rate at which the above glands produce their respective, er, secretions.
I'm unfortunate enough to suffer from exercise-induced rhinitis and something called post-nasal drip, which means that not only does my nose run (faster than I do), the excess snot flows down the back of my throat. If I don't clear my throat sufficiently or effectively enough, it can sometimes lead to me choking and retching. Hence my apparent overzealousness in clearing my mouth and throat. :embarrassed:

Apologies for the words "secretions", "snot", and "retching"; but they were essential to the plot.;)
memo to self don't go running in the north east :eek: :p ;)

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
dimple said:
This must be a male thing, I don't get the urge to spit either:p
A male thing ,a male thing have you seen Ms Radcliffe gobbing :d

spitting is most definately not a male peserve altough i will admit it does seem more prevelant in men specially footballers

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Maybe I'm a lady. Only messing my bad habit is swearing I can turn the air blue:rolleyes: and I often do when I'm at work!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts