Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an idea and am wondering a few things about sponsored events, since I know very little about how they generally work.

- How often do you enter an event where you could be sponsored
- If you enter any such events, do you advertise it here (posts/sig etc)
- If yes, do you usually get any/much response
- How does the sponsorship happen, e.g. through a handler website (justgiving and the like), or does someone need to send you a cheque or...?

- Regardless of the above answers, do you/would you sponsor others here.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Sponsored archers start of by being given equipment to use at competitions. If they are successful then they can get paid. They are expected to enter competitions so that the equipment is seen being used.

<sensible reply done, Hrun sits back and waits for raft of replies suggesting bairy sponsors all sorts of activities :d >

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
You can set up a justgiving webpage and email your friends, family and work collegues to sponsor you via this route, you can do this for any race you choose, even if you enter a race where you have to raise money.

If you receive cash or cheque the charity you are raising money for should be able to supply you with a sponsorship form which you could compelete on behalf of the person donating, not everyone likes to part with their money over the net.

I have personally avoided advertising here only from the view point that other runners are also trying to raise money and I wouldn't want fellow forumites to feel obliged to donate money.

TT

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Can I be sponsored by RF? :d

As for running for charity, I think most people ask friends, family & work colleagues for sponsorship - some people will ask online but there's not a huge number of people who will sponsor a complete stranger (not because they don;t think the cause is worthy... but you know what I mean ;) )

Sponsorship can be a manual task, collecting cash, cheques etc from people, or it is perfectly possible to setup web-pages using the likes of justgiving etc to collect donations online.

Anyone can decide to run for charity at any event, though in general it's the bigger events that attract most fund-raising runners. I ran my first half marathon for charity, and would consider running for charity again if/when I attempt my first marathon.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I will do the bigger runs for charity (eg Great Run things) but not smaller ones.

I usually do use Justgiving as it's so convenient (compared to the agony of asking for money in person, and the expense of feeling guility and having to make up the difference when awkward people promise tenners but are "skint" on the 3 occasions you ask for the money!), and sometimes splash banners on my websites or forum sigs, just in case a passing millionaire benefactor surfs by - you never know!

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I did the London to Brighton for charity. Raised £100 and by the time I had got my bike suitable, hotel, fuel, entry etc I reckon it cost me £250. I also had trouble collecting the money and decided in future I will do things for fun and make my own donation.

Much easier!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The reason I asked was because I was thinking of introducing a small modification the info bar (the bit on posts with your avatar, username, post count etc.) that could say "Sponsor me for ..." with a link.

For example:
100 Training Blog Entires
100 miles this year
Sponsor me for the bairy-is-ace fund
My thinking was that it's letting people know they can sponsor you, but it's not directly asking so no one feels embarrased making a thread with no replies, and no one feels guilty because they don't want to sponsor.
Plus it'll be viewable by guests who may just happen to have some money spare and want to give to your chosen charity (okay I know it's unlikely)

But by the sounds of it this wouldn't be so useful. What do you all think?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Correct, you'd have to supply both the name of who you're sponsoring for a link (to justgiving/your own website etc). Without those it wouldn't display anything more than it does now.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sounds good to me - especially as my whole motivation for running is to run the Rome Marathon with the aim of raisin £50,000+ (between 45 of us) for Cancer Research ;)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Can't do any harm.

Crikey MF that is a lot of dough, good luck :d

·
Registered
152 Posts
Should be achievable... bit of a pain if you all work together though - only so many times you can harass your colleagues!
We're spread all over the UK, france and Germany, so shouldn't be too much cross over! My employers will match fund me up to £500 as well, so I am hoping to raise >£2,000

1 - 18 of 18 Posts