Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just wondering if any of you used sports drinks and which kind?

I currently have the SIS Go Electrolyte, which I have used at the gym for some time.
Is this still ok to use for running?

I have also seen them Zymm tablets, which are much the same but in tablet form.

Would be interested to find out what others are using.

The Minx :cool:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Funny you bring this up, I was really hungry today, so I bought some powerade, and that seemed to get me through my workout. Generally speaking though I usually take a bottle of lucozade sport with me on long runs, they quench my thirst and maybe give me a teeny bit of energy. I cope without it though. I only really take it at all is because my boyfriend used to work GSK and got a crate of them on the cheap :)

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
i used to use SIS stuff but had to admit it didnt agree with me, and i found it kind of sickly due to the sweeteners they use.

went throght a period of using powerade but had to dilute it in the end as it was also too sickly after a couple of hours.

i've switched to gatorade now, kind of hard to get hold of but works for me, and nuun for electrolyte.. kind of alternating.

hey.. sometimes i even drink water!

but yes GO electrolyte should be fine for running, in this weather you may not need all the electrolyte that you probably need in a warm gym.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I tend to use water and lucozade tablets, I can't cope with the drink for too long.

I have tried using gels but didn't persevere long enough to find out if I would prefer them.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
If i'm racing I'll tend to use lucozade sport (off the shelf rather than the powder for mixing)... normally I use SIS for my regular energy and recovery drink needs.

In terms of gels, my stomach seems to handle anything - SIS gels are pretty easy to stomach - Lucozade ones are very thick and sweet - tastes gorgeous to me but most seem to need water to wash it down with.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I took a lucozade sport with me on my run this weekend, whereas I didn't last week, and actually I found that after the run I wasn't feel so washed out for the rest of the day. The only thing is it did piss me off having to carry it for soooo long that eventually I just thought f**k it and drank it all up 3/4 to the end. Then I got to the end, and decided I would run a weeeee bit more :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use a gels or HEED by Hammer, gels are good, not too syrupy and good flavours, HEED is their alternative to gels, very gentle on stomach (IYKWIM) and is now available in UK (big over in States) their site is 3w's.hammernutritionuk.co.uk failing that i love Vimto Cordial if only Hammer would come out with that!!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I used to use a sports drink that Vittel used to make... it was great, but they discontinued it about 2 years ago now. I bought up all the last stocks that I could find and have just about run out now :(

But I find Lucozade sport is pretty good too... the clear one

I also use SIS gels for long runs and marathons

·
Registered
76 Posts
Come on people, be good to yor bodies,

Powerade Gatorade and Lucozade are seriously bad news. They are all full of processed sugar and artificial sweeteners. The body can't process the rubish they put into the drinks. They just have glucose and you get a high spike and then the body crashes again.

I use diluted fruit juice for all my racing and training with Nuun. And before a massive session I'd have agisko, which is frankly amazing stuff!

Keep natural and your body will help you back!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Has anyone found a energy gel which actually tastes like the fruit mentioned on the front of the pack?? :p

I use the Go electrolyte powder stuff on long runs, plus a gel or two. On shorter runs I just drink water / whatever at home either side of the run, or maybe have a protein drink after it. That works fine for me.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Katten said:
Has anyone found a energy gel which actually tastes like the fruit mentioned on the front of the pack?? :p
yes..... high 5 smooth chocolate :d

what what ? ! chocolate's not a fruit ?

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Katten said:

I use the Go electrolyte powder stuff on long runs, plus a gel or two. On shorter runs I just drink water / whatever at home either side of the run, or maybe have a protein drink after it. That works fine for me.
Hi katten i'm still trying to find a pot noodle that tastes the same as is stated!!:d

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here's an awesome sports drink that I drink right after all my runs. It's always best to make things from scratch so that you can avoid all the wonderful (I really mean harmful) chemical dyes and colourings that manufactured drinks use.

The best part is that it actually ends up tasting like Gatorade anyways and is much better for you.

Here it is:

- juice of 1/2 lime
- juice of 1/4 lemon
- 2-3 tbsp of maple syrup
- pinch of sea salt
- 500 ml water
- 5g glutamine (optional)

Try it! This drink absolutely rocks!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
TOrunner said:
The best part is that it actually ends up tasting like Gatorade
You mean you actually allowed yourself to have a taste of the real thing........ yikes1171.gif ............. Wink.gif

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I reckon processed drinks can improve the bodies immune system - surely if it can process all that [email protected] it can deal with a virus/infection with ease?! lol.

I have to admit I admire your dedication to sticking with pure and healthy unprocessed foods/drinks TOrunner... in an ideal world I'd love to be the same, but truth be told I tend to just be a little lazy with those kind of things and don't feel I'd see much improvement if I were to move away from teh pre-mix solutions.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I'll stick with premixed stuff too...Lucozade does it for me.
Too old to worry about every little thing that is supposed to be bad for us!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Fair enough but aspartame can be cancer causing and it's found in powerade, lucozade, and as a sweetener in a huge proportion of other processed sweet drinks.

As for being lazy, you're hauling your butt out to run god knows how many miles a week, apple juice and water take ohhh 30 seconds to mix. If you run 30 seconds quicker because of it then there isn't much time saving buying the crap.

But hey, you're not the international athlete so I guess it doens't matter too much for you.

P.O.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts