Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few weeks ago I spotted an offer for these powdered drinks that you make up, in Holland and Barratt.
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=550

You take a bit before the run or workout and a bit after.

People have said mixed things about this though. What do you reckon? Am I best sticking to my cheap light orange squash (if I take anything)? They contain that thing called phenylalanine and seem to have quite high sugars.

Your thoughts gratefully received!

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I'm not one for supplements, although I do take gels on really long runs. I do take a bottle of Lucozade for the after my Sunday/long run.

I normally go straight home after a run and eat some "real" food, so don't bother about taking sports supplements.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I've started to listen to some advice from forum member 'team-lewis.co.uk' who suggested making your own energy drinks. There's loads combinations of ingredients you could try, but I very simply opt for 1/3 fresh orange juice, 2/3 water... tastes great and not an additive/preservative to be found!

I'm not completely shunning these other energy drinks - and I believe that artifical sweeteners such as aspartme - despite it's bad press and health risks - helps the uptake of glycogen in the body - part of the reason Lucozade Sport can supposedly help you keep going 33% longer!

OJ & Water is good and cheap enough to keep me happy during training though :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice.

Confirmed what I thought. I want to lose weight, so Ill stick to water.

Richard, your drinks mix sounds nice. I'll try it sometime:d

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'm just trying to think to be honest... I might have a look when I've caught up with all the posts from yesterday... failing that (or if you're impatient) find "teamlewis.co.uk" and goto his profile page and search for his posts, I'm sure if you look long enough you'll find something ;)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Like the sound of 1/3 OJ and 2/3 water, might try that on the weekend. I generally use Lucozade sport and found that to be good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
CytoSport Cytomax

I have spoke to many people that swear by CytoSport CytoMax. Its made with PolyLactate, complex carbs and electrolytes. Its available in the UK on bodytemple.co.uk and there are quite a few flavours to choose from.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts