Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so went for new running shoes on Saturday, as figured shin trouble may be due to shoes being on last legs. Got new shoes and mentioned the shin trouble so guy asked if I would like to see sports therapist who was in today for free 10 min sesh. Thought that sounded reasonable...but it was the most excruciating and painful experience :eek: She just seemed to press incredibly hard into my calves, shins etc so that I was sweating, swearing and yelping :confused: I don't consider myself a total wuss, as have given birth twice (once without pain relief!) and had bikini waxes :eek: but this was horrible.

Sunday and today my lower legs feel extremely tender and bruised and visible yellow bruising in places.

Is this normal? Or was this a particularly vicious masseuse? Must say don't fancy inflicting it on myself again, rather have shin splints :(

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Right... now all spam has been eliminated I've been able to read your post properly!

I've never actually had a sports massage or anything, but have heard they can be quite intense as the masseuse manipulates various muscles etc... but visible bruising sounds pretty intense! Hopefully someone else will be able to advise further :(

·
Registered
707 Posts
I've never had one... and I don't think I'll ever have one!!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
The answer to the question is yes..it is supposed to be torture!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've never had a sports massage but my old osteopath used to go hammer and tong at my tense shoulders I used to swear and bit the pillow it was painful.

Am going to try Remidial massage, similar I believe to Sport massage but not as brutal.....def never going to have sports one, ever!! lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
My mate who is training with me just now got a sports massage on saturday. He said he was warned at the start that it is ok to swear if he couldnt hold it in.... I would have left right there and then! Think he's feeling the benifit now though but i'll ask him about any bruising. Although some do bruise easier than others.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
It is supposed to be uncomfortable and sometimes there can be bruising I always finding having my calves and muscle around the shins particularly painful but any good therapist should note your pain response and should vary how deep they go based on how much pain you can take but I have heard rumours of big strapping lads being reduced to tears but I've never cried I find using some kind of breathing technique helps with the pain.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I used to have massages when I was in serious basketball teams and yes...they were incredibly painful. I never got bruises, from it, though :huh:

I think the test to see if it was good for you or not should be how you felt in the following days... :)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Maybe you just bruise easily then... :S

No pain no gain I guess.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Edward Chapman said:
Now I have Bowen treatment - much gentler and much more effective. It is a holistic treatment which prevents injuries by eliminating imbalances. I am a big convert.
Hmm, that sounds much more civilised! :d

Not sure if I am masochistic enough for this sports massage lark :eek:

·
Registered
272 Posts
To get benefits from a sports massage, the masseur will need to soften up the muscle tissue first and this can take a little time, depending on how tight you are in the first place. A 10-min freebie is unlikely to be sufficient, so he/she will have had to be quite rough to get any use out of the session.
Unfortunately for you, the shin area can be the most painful to massage as the muscle can get 'stuck' to the shinbone and to separate the two can be nasty.Bruising sounds extreme and the masseur should have checked whether the intensity was appropriate.
Running on the day or the day after can be affected but don't let that put you off all sports massage, some of it can be very beneficial

p.s No I'm not a sports masseur before anyone asks!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts