Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, im not sure if im over reacting here or not. I went for a sports massage the other day and while iv got my head in the hole of laying on the massage table, the guy lifted my arm halfway through the session and and taking my arm back slowly though im not sure if my boobs were showing that he lifted my arm abit too much and when my boyfriend come back when the session had finshed the therapist patted my bum, though my boyfriend thought he seemed nice, hes not too keen of me going there again.

Im not going back to that therapist again i wont feel comfortable unless my boyfriend is there with me everytime, that i think i may rather go to a female sports theraist if i can find one. of all that, people who have gone for sports massages am i over reacting there or not?

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
I have done a sports massage course and my teacher told me that often he was harassed by his customers. He also said that it is not that unusual that some masseurs will try to take advantage...
If you feel that he wasn't professional you should go somewhere else. Not necessarily a female sports therapist.
If he massaged your gluteus, that's one thing... It's important to do it. But patting... hmmm... no, I wouldn't go back...

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
If you felt uncomfortable then there's probably a good reason to do so. Go with your gut feeling. You may not be the only one that he's done this with and perhaps you should report it as he will only carry on doing this to other women if you don't. It's a serious issue. I would report him if my wife felt as you do.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
If anyone patted my backside sports therapist or not, I would ask them what the **** they thought they were doing.

I would also feel that if I went back he might think it was fair game. He has taken advantage of your trust.

Would it be acceptable for a colleague to do the same?

I have had back massages before by women where my arm has had to be moved, but only enough to be out of the way of them working, and certainly not to the extent where I felt I was being revealed.

You are right not to go back.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I am a sports therapist and I can catagorically say that what your therapist did was very unprofessional. I would not go back there and certainly not recommend him to any other female friend.

How did you find out about this particular sports therapist? It's always best to go on recommendation if possible. Maybe you could ask at your local gym or running club if they have any contacts?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey, I found the place when walking around town and having leftlets outside. I dont go to any running clubs or gyms now to far away for it alot of the time from my home. I wondered if any of you could recommend me a place where it is professional in Exeter/Taunton/Bude/Barnstaple area. thanks.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I'm just north of Bristol so can't help you there. But you could still phone a running club or gym and ask if they know of anyone who they could recommend... no harm in asking

1 - 9 of 9 Posts