Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've doing the Bramley 10 next Sunday and am planning to taper towards the end of next week but thought it would be beneficial also to have a sports massage the day before. Does anyone out there have these often and if so do you find them helpful? I can't imagine that it's going to do me any harm having one the day before the race.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I wouldn't. Sports massages sometimes leave you feeling bruised and battered for a day or so. I'd have one 3-5 days before, but no closer. Ideally, after your last long run before the race, but before your last light recovery run.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I'm a sports therapist, and Greg's right... don't have one closer than 3 days before, preferably 5 or 6.

It amazed me at the FLM expo last year to see so many runners having deep sports massage on the Saturday...the day before the marathon. The sports masseurs should've known better!!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I also meant to say Cheryl...I'm doing the Bramley 20, so I'll see you there.
I'll be in blue club vest with 'Hogweed Trotters' on it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
£20 for 45 mins seems a bit of a bargain to me. Not sure where you live but in my neck of the woods it's more like £20 for 30mins, £35 per hour.

Trinity, you're not in SW London/Surrey by any chance, are you? My therapist has gone back to Zimbabwe, quite like to find another...

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Greg said:
£20 for 45 mins seems a bit of a bargain to me. Not sure where you live but in my neck of the woods it's more like £20 for 30mins, £35 per hour.

Trinity, you're not in SW London/Surrey by any chance, are you? My therapist has gone back to Zimbabwe, quite like to find another...

Sorry Greg...no, I'm in Bristol.

I pay £44 per hour or £25 for half an hour...he is very good though, and does allignment work on me too.

However, for a sports massage I charge £18 per half hour, so selectomatic you are getting a bargain...just so long as the sports therapist is good.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:cool: £40.00 for an hour at my gym.

Trinity, the weather is supposed to be really bad on Sunday. Complete wash out.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Oh no!!! That could be a problem for me then... my asthma doesn't like wet conditions :(

It might change yet...the forecast isn't always right (she says hopefully)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Cheryl said:
I've doing the Bramley 10 next Sunday and am planning to taper towards the end of next week but thought it would be beneficial also to have a sports massage the day before. Does anyone out there have these often and if so do you find them helpful? I can't imagine that it's going to do me any harm having one the day before the race.

How did you get on today Cheryl?

I had a great race :)

New PB... finished the 20 in 2.47 :) :)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
They should have known better but they were happy to take the cash!
I am a qualified sports massage therapist and I recommend that people leave at least three days after a massage before a big race. You should treat it like a hard session if it is a really deep one!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Some years ago I did a sports massage course that took place on weekends.
One Saturday I had the class just before a steeplechase race.
As we practised on each other, my course partner practised on one of my legs but then didn't have time for the other.
I raced 1 hour later and it felt like I had one leg made of stone and the other made of rubber :d

I wouldn't have/give a massage on the day or two before a race unless it would be a superficial one for relaxation (even a back massage) to calm down if the runner would be feeling nervous.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts