Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sports Massages, discuss...

Ever had one? Ever had a friend who's had one? Ever heard stories about them? Do you think they can help a runner? Would you ever want to have one?

·
Registered
378 Posts
We used to massage each others calves and quads after games. If someone remembered the oil.

Also we used them after England Youth camps at weekends.

Really good if you do them right :lol:

·
Registered
378 Posts
:lol:

Should have keep quiet...

Yes, at first. Getting at the knots and what not. But after a while they're ok. Really useful.
We would do them on the bus as we travelled home.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Ive heard they are really painful, not had one myself. Will be watching this thead closely to see if they are worth while or not and to what benefit do they give....

O.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I'm a qualified sports masseur, and yes deep sports massage can be quite 'uncomfortable'.. but it's not pain for pain's sake... it actually serves a purpose, gets the cr*p moving out of your muscles, smooths the muscle fibres, stops the build up of scar tissue that can inhibit the performance of the muscles etc etc :)

Afterwards your legs can feel floaty light :rolleyes:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Good timing !

I went for a sports massage last Friday, as after the recent shock to my system of starting running I was suffering with constant really 'restless legs' (apparently from a lactic acid build up - a not uncommon problem amongst newbie runners).

Regarding the pain, then all I can say is 'God YES!" :'( , but only when she hit the knots and started to 'iron them out'. Although instead of stopping when I flinched\cried in pain she concentrated on the area until the pain subsided, which was fun :wacko: (the young lady masseur I saw was competing in the AAA Olympic Trials the following day throwing the hammer !!!!)

However it did seem to do the trick and I lost my restless legs, and a lot of the slight aches I was starting to build up.

So I would definately say they work and will definately be going back through my training.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I've had several...they are painful but the benefits outweigh any short term pain..IMHO

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had meant to start this thread earlier on in the day... I'd booked myself in for an hours sports massage this afternoon after work - and was expecting pain. I wanted to hear people's opinions before they knew I was going for one. lol.

The guy was great, and we chatted about running stuff, physiology and biomechanics throughout the whole thing. He started on my left leg and was suprised that my muscles were so 'knot free' and generally in really good condition considering my usual work load and having never had a sports massage before... I was actually really enjoying it! Then he moved onto my right leg... soon it became a jekyll and hyde situation... really nice experience and a nice deep massage, but when he hit some of the knots and tender spots in the muscles FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK ME did it hurt! lol. as with you SR, he would then concentrate on the area until it eased.

A useful experience, at times I just wanted him to stop, and I came away feeling very tender in places... though I'm starting to feel a little better now. I'll see how I feel tomorrow and more importantly on my long run on Saturday to gauge whether I'll end up going back for another. ;)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Ha ha. I have been told I have tight calf muscles and achilles. My achilles can feel quite tight and sore whilst on a run if I do too much. Do you reckon a sports massage would help me?

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
How long are you meant to rest after one? Can you go out running the next day if you feel up to it or are you recommened to rest for a day or two?

Sounds interesting but the pain does concern me :) Is it like an MOT, your meant to get one after so many miles running? From only running since January Im not sure whether it would be worth it for me or not.

O.

·
Registered
516 Posts
How long are you meant to rest after one? Can you go out running the next day if you feel up to it or are you recommened to rest for a day or two?

Sounds interesting but the pain does concern me :) Is it like an MOT, your meant to get one after so many miles running? From only running since January Im not sure whether it would be worth it for me or not.

O.
I have one arranged for Monday afternoon. What a way to spend a Glasgow Fair holiday! I was quite looking forward to it until I read Richards post! :d Now i'm :notrust:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
you can run the next day, so long as it's an easy run. Definitely don't race for a couple of days after a deep sports massage.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts