Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As AJTuna raised the question on Motion Based, I thought I'd introduce the fantastic Sport Tracks which I use for my garmin. Kicks the ass of garmins training centre, maps integrated with google earth, able to log nutrition, heart rate, equipment/shoes used. I think it's got the lot.....

Plus it's free.

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/

Anyone else use it? What do you think?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I like how you can log what equipment you are using for runs. Keeps track of how many miles you have done in your runners so you know when it's time for a change.

Google Earth is a great piece of mapping software as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've just tried the SportTracks software, as my garmin software wasn't working anyway.

It looks great, but one question: only my most recent runs will let me have a map. For all those runs the distance of the run has increased slightly from the distance measured by the garmin. Any ideas?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Posted this on the RW forum but thought I'd copy it here too!

I think there is something like a 100 lap limit on the data held on the garmin. Therefore it will only keep the basics and get rid of the GPS data so no map. You have to be quite frequent with your downloads to get maps for all runs (I tend to do mine every 3-4 runs just in case).

As for the distance being longer, I think Sporttracks is a bit more "Intelligent" and is able to analyse the data better. I'm sure there is something mentioned on the sporttracks forum about why the distances mark as further. Just can't quite remember why!

·
Registered
18 Posts
debbo said:
For all those runs the distance of the run has increased slightly from the distance measured by the garmin. Any ideas?
Hi Debbo

The Garmin and Sportstrack calculate the distance between the recorded GPS points differently. You can find a detailed explanation here.
I was quite annoyed by the difference in the beginning but since I mainly use my Garmin for longer runs it doesn't really matter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts