Runners Forum banner

Should St George's Day be a national holiday?


  • Total voters
    20
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
634 Posts
Steve said:
To a Scottish PM?? :d
Damn it - never thought of that...:embarrassed:
Not that I'd get any benefit of a national holiday for St George's Day, but as a general principle I think it would be a good idea for English people to celebrate the good bits about being English. like...???

I feel another contraversial thread coming on...;) :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slowsteve said:
Damn it - never thought of that...:embarrassed:
Not that I'd get any benefit of a national holiday for St George's Day, but as a general principle I think it would be a good idea for English people to celebrate the good bits about being English. like...???

I feel another contraversial thread coming on...;) :p
Like the COMMONWEALTH........sits back in anticipation!:d
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
634 Posts
Steve said:
Like the COMMONWEALTH........sits back in anticipation!:d
Where's Brumbear when you need him??:d

I've just done a quick office poll regarding Ireland's re-entry to the Commonwealth. For some reason everyone keeps swearing at me... :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,339 Posts
Slowsteve said:
Where's Brumbear when you need him??:d
:p

who?


How can we justify a holiday when half of the Nation don't know when St. Georges day is until it's upon them, and then just use it as another excuse for a p!$$ up? :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,059 Posts
hot foot said:
who?


How can we justify a holiday when half of the Nation don't know when St. Georges day is until it's upon them, and then just use it as another excuse for a p!$$ up? :eek:
It's OK, we just have a p*ss-up on St. Patrick's day instead. :embarrassed:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,317 Posts
Just seen some of St George's finest out celebrating. [email protected]~sed as rats the lot of em!
Why shoud we celebrate a Turkish Roman anyway? Surely we've got better people to have as our patron saint! St Douglas Bader perhaps?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,339 Posts
steepler said:
Just seen some of St George's finest out celebrating. [email protected]~sed as rats the lot of em!
Why shoud we celebrate a Turkish Roman anyway? Surely we've got better people to have as our patron saint! St Douglas Bader perhaps?

Spot on Steepler.

St Douglas Bader. Spiffing idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
I'm all for another day off but let's not get all commercial about it. I saw St George's Day cards in a shop last week!
Just out of interest though. How many of you can claim to be truly English?
I'm only half. (The other bit's Irish.)
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top