Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

As you all know i am sicknote (or was) at the moment.... it seems like my training has gone downhill since suffering with the migraines for past 4 months.

I have not stopped running but when i felt dizzy etc, i used to stop and catch my breath for few seconds etc... then carry on, BUT i have remained in this habbit and keep stopping regardless of if i need too.....

I think i have lost my confidence in running and therefore think in my head/body i cannot go on any further and stop... my body feels like it says no to going any further... of course my breathing has become laboured too but i guess they both go together.

I get very fatigued too. i ate a banana before training and a small flapjack too and drank plenty during the day, i also have had my bloods done etc.... because of the headaches also i have not done any long runs for a while on a sunday ... and if i have i have stopped a few times in between.

I go to training straight from work, but beforehand sit in a car for 50 mins then i get out and then run near enough straight away, i also have a sit down all day job :embarrassed:

When i get to 3-4 miles it becomes a lot easier for me and i feel comfortable then.

Bearing in mind i did a half marathon in March so surely i have not lost my fitness that quick, i also visit the gym for hour every other day i dont run.

Gym i do rower and treadmill (sometimes walking on highest incline for 30 mins) but i guess that does not help stamina, some weights and sometimes bike... i hardly do the x trainer anymore .. so perhaps i need to start again using that.

Course in the winter i used to do the cross countries and 5k time trials which kept the fitness up high

I am really looking for some tips really on how to get back to my former self, i ran last night with a club member who knows i am finding it a bit hard was suprised how much i gone downhill quick... he said it will come back

Was going to ask the gym instructors but to be honest not sure if thats the best advice for me to get.

While back i entered myself for a ten mile race for this weekend, should i go and just use it as a training run ??

:confused:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi Leece

I'm no expert at this kind of thing, but it sounds as though your body and mind may need a break. You've a lot going on - running /gym/work plus (maybe) the worry about your migraines will all take their toll physically and mentally. Why not give yourself a week off to re-charge the batteries?, then gradually start your training again.

Or, if you don't think that'll work - go like a bat out of hell on the 10 mile run this weekend ;)

Hope you're soon back to your old self (I've still got coffee stains on the wall from laughing at one of your posts a couple of weeks ago:d )

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
was that the missing the race by four minutes or the falling over scraping my knuckles and elbows etc :p

Perhaps i am thinking about it all too much ay when i should be enjoying it like i used too :p

·
Registered
634 Posts
LEECE said:
was that the missing the race by four minutes or the falling over scraping my knuckles and elbows etc :p

No, although I had a good giggle over that one - the coffee splurting incident happened when you "walked in" on one of Brumbear's rants.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oohhhh that one........... i actually got an email from him i forgot to reply oops.

I have a habbit of looking at posts that i dont know whats going on :p

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
LEECE said:
Hi there,

As you all know i am sicknote (or was) at the moment.... it seems like my training has gone downhill since suffering with the migraines for past 4 months.

I have not stopped running but when i felt dizzy etc, i used to stop and catch my breath for few seconds etc... then carry on, BUT i have remained in this habbit and keep stopping regardless of if i need too.....

I think i have lost my confidence in running and therefore think in my head/body i cannot go on any further and stop... my body feels like it says no to going any further... of course my breathing has become laboured too but i guess they both go together.

I get very fatigued too. i ate a banana before training and a small flapjack too and drank plenty during the day, i also have had my bloods done etc.... because of the headaches also i have not done any long runs for a while on a sunday ... and if i have i have stopped a few times in between.

I go to training straight from work, but beforehand sit in a car for 50 mins then i get out and then run near enough straight away, i also have a sit down all day job :embarrassed:

When i get to 3-4 miles it becomes a lot easier for me and i feel comfortable then.

Bearing in mind i did a half marathon in March so surely i have not lost my fitness that quick, i also visit the gym for hour every other day i dont run.

Gym i do rower and treadmill (sometimes walking on highest incline for 30 mins) but i guess that does not help stamina, some weights and sometimes bike... i hardly do the x trainer anymore .. so perhaps i need to start again using that.

Course in the winter i used to do the cross countries and 5k time trials which kept the fitness up high

I am really looking for some tips really on how to get back to my former self, i ran last night with a club member who knows i am finding it a bit hard was suprised how much i gone downhill quick... he said it will come back

Was going to ask the gym instructors but to be honest not sure if thats the best advice for me to get.

While back i entered myself for a ten mile race for this weekend, should i go and just use it as a training run ??

:confused:
I'd ask club memebrs for advice if I were you........;) :rolleyes: :d

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steve said:
I'd ask club memebrs for advice if I were you........;) :rolleyes: :d
Nah they are not at my league ... you know being elite and all :p (me that is) :rolleyes:

and i think you will find that i have the name of sicknote at the club therefore i am sure they do not want to hear or see anymore excuses ;)

But i have confided in the club director about these worries.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
A case of spot the deliberate mistake..........gold star on its way!!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
LEECE said:
Perhaps i am thinking about it all too much ay when i should be enjoying it like i used too :p

Thinking is Bad. Try and cut down if you can. ;)

You sound as if you have a similar problem with your fitness as I do. I lose mine very, very easily. If I so much as turn my back on it for a couple of minutes, it's gone when I turn back again! :mad:
Some people seem to be able to regain their form relatively quickly. I've come across a few lucky runners like that over the years. Unfortunately, it takes me months to get back to anything approaching what I'd call a decent level, and I quite often feel very frustrated and demoralized.
I'm currently attempting yet another comeback after serious injury; and even though I've been running again for a few weeks, things just dont seem to be getting any easier. Every run is just a huge effort, and when I realise how much work is being put into running so slowly, it makes me wonder why I'm bothering at all. But I know from experience that it's just a matter of sticking to it and plugging away, no matter how bad I feel most of the time. In the end, I know there will come a run when things just "fall into place" (*soon, please*). This can often happen quite out of the blue. You can feel terrible one day; then the day after when you force yourself out the door for the next round of "torture", your legs are back... your lungs are back... and what's even better is the fact that they're co-operating with each other again! :d

Just try to enjoy your running, Leece. There's no real point to it otherwise, is there? :(
Keep plugging away and you will get to that day when you'll be saying to yourself: "...Yeah... I'm back... ".

... And stop thinking so much! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25 Posts
pedestrian said:

You sound as if you have a similar problem with your fitness as I do. I lose mine very, very easily. If I so much as turn my back on it for a couple of minutes, it's gone when I turn back again! :mad:
Some people seem to be able to regain their form relatively quickly. I've come across a few lucky runners like that over the years. Unfortunately, it takes me months to get back to anything approaching what I'd call a decent level, and I quite often feel very frustrated and demoralized.
I'm currently attempting yet another comeback after serious injury; and even though I've been running again for a few weeks, things just dont seem to be getting any easier. Every run is just a huge effort, and when I realise how much work is being put into running so slowly, it makes me wonder why I'm bothering at all. But I know from experience that it's just a matter of sticking to it and plugging away, no matter how bad I feel most of the time. In the end, I know there will come a run when things just "fall into place" (*soon, please*). This can often happen quite out of the blue. You can feel terrible one day; then the day after when you force yourself out the door for the next round of "torture", your legs are back... your lungs are back... and what's even better is the fact that they're co-operating with each other again! :d

Just try to enjoy your running, Leece. There's no real point to it otherwise, is there? :(
Keep plugging away and you will get to that day when you'll be saying to yourself: "...Yeah... I'm back... ".

What pedestrian said. Good advice.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
don't be so hard on yourself pedestrian...

even injured and 'running so slowly' ;) you are still quicker than most of us on our best days... !

LEECE keep at it...

maybe try running at a slower pace and if you feel dizzy and can't keep at a run then jog it off (or if you can't jog walk until you recover)... i don't suggest you stop rapidly after you run... it makes you feel worse and it is very demotivating and would be very hard to start again...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pedestrian said:

Think you hit the nail on the head and maybe i am looking too much into it.

The gym as suggested a few things for me to regain my stamina so i will try that and keep going to club runs etc.

And chin up yourself Pedestrian

And i agree whats the point in doing something if you dont enjoy it.

I got speed work at club this evening so ill try my best :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Revenged said:
don't be so hard on yourself pedestrian...

even injured and 'running so slowly' ;) you are still quicker than most of us on our best days... !

LEECE keep at it...

maybe try running at a slower pace and if you feel dizzy and can't keep at a run then jog it off (or if you can't jog walk until you recover)... i don't suggest you stop rapidly after you run... it makes you feel worse and it is very demotivating and would be very hard to start again...
This is what i have being doing stopping and walking then carrying on again only for few seconds, but now i feel better i have to get out the habbit of stopping when it gets tough, when before i would push myself.

lazyitus perhaps :p

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Leece, sounds like your mind has got into a bad habit and now kids on that you need to stop. Have you tried going for a few more metres when you feel this way? If you manage that go a few more before you think about stopping then try just one or two more steps and then consider if you really do need to stop if not "heed doon haud chapping" run done!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I definately understand what your saying Squint, i have to keep constantly telling myself i am ok now and i nothing will happen.

Did speed sessions last night and i did them all but few slower and some quicker, so i know i can do it.

I will revert back to my happy go lucky self soon enough :d

1 - 17 of 17 Posts