Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The more I stand between run intervals during C25K, instead of walking, the quicker I recover, and the happier I feel. It’s refreshing, I feel better and I love it.

I’ve only done it a bit, experimentally, because all the programs say to walk.

Is it unhealthy to stand to let heart rate come down?
I.e. Run 3 minutes, stand 1.5 minutes, run 5 minutes, stand again, etc?

Any advice needed
thanks

·
Registered
773 Posts
No, it’s not unhealthy. The point is to recover enough to do the next interval properly. One school of thought is do rest in whatever way and time it takes to get the heart rate down before the next interval. After all, the point is to accumulate a series of relatively high efforts, to get almost the same benefit of a continuous effort before you are trained to that level.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it’s not unhealthy. The point is to recover enough to do the next interval properly. One school of thought is do rest in whatever way and time it takes to get the heart rate down before the next interval. After all, the point is to accumulate a series of relatively high efforts, to get almost the same benefit of a continuous effort before you are trained to that level.
thanks for the reply. Do I just wait until I feel like running again, for me that’s when my heart rate feels like it’s pretty calm but not avsolutely all the way down. Or is there a specific heart rate that’s recommended and then I run again? I do have a heart rate monitor although I have yet to try it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It can't be the same for everyone, every time. For myself I prefer not to stand because I then have to get my heart and lungs working again when I start again. Something like reverse fartleks, a mile or two as fast as feels comfortable, followed by a hundred yards really slow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts