Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I have started to do my cardio training again, and have found that i start to wheeze when pushing the speeds, its only slight, doesn't stop me running and just makes it uncomfortable, i can sometimes push through it, could this just be due to my fitness levels and the fact that i am pushing myself, ie 5 minute miles?

Thank you for your time.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'd like to think I was a reasonable standard nowadays, and a 5min/mile is probably just about me flat out, for one mile...

If you're able to run in excess of one mile at that pace you're doing bloody well and it doesn't suprise me that you're struggling for breath... As for wheezing though I'm not sure? I know if I've run flat out i'll be gasping for air - but not wheezing, it could be perfectly natural, though it could be somehting else causing it. Are you asthmatic? do you smoke? have you only recently started exercising? All things to consider.

Congrats on what's an impressive pace though :) and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I have only recently started exercising again, had about a year off, did weights to gain size.
I can run maybe say 3 miles mid pace, without to much of a wheeze at all, its just the high pace, it lasts about 5 min after the exercise.

I read another of your post saying that you used to be asthmatic but managed to out train it, i dont think im asthmatic just maybe not used to using my lungs so hard, so will keep training hard.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
keep at it and see how you go... in my days of suffering with exercise induced asthma I'd wheeze a lot when pushing hard - the asthma would never affect me during my everyday life though.

Any races planned? Sounds like you'd be well up the field! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah im doing the Toughguy challenge in January, it doesn't effect me in any other aspect of my life, and it is mild whilst i run, i think i can probably train out of it! fingers crossed, just brought a PowerBreathe to see if that will aid the strengthening.

Did your asthma just go away after a while as your fitness increased?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
As my fitness increased I just found that at times where I was exerting myself having not taken my inhaler, the wheezing and slight tightening in the chest wasn't as bad and I could get away with using my inhaler less. In the end I just stopped using it!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Let me know how you get on with the power breathe thingy... I've always fancied one but I've read mixed reviews/theories. I'd love to hear first hand from someone who's actually tried one :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will let you know, ill keep you posted.

I dont think my wheezing is servere enough for me to be worrying, i can run as far as i like without stopping (well within reason) i have just had some bad chest infections.

Thank you for your time

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
i actually got exercise related asthma through running, i have an inhaler which i have to take 10-15 mins before running.

So if it continues it may be worth going to docs.

Mines only slight but other people can hear it and i can too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, i went for a run today 10km and ran through the wheeze and was fine afterwards, maybe a slight whistle but nothing that stoped me doing some sprints.

Im pleased about this, as if i had to take an inhaler i would loose my job, so that wouldnt be to great.

But thank you everyone who replied will keep you posted on the power breathe.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I agree with Richard. I can only sustain 5 minute miles for 2 or 2.5 miles before I want to die and that is me going pretty much flat out and gasping for breath. Although I never wheeze. Don't know the cause of that. 5 min miles is seriously fast, so you should probably just cut down the pace a bit. Eventually you may find 5 min miles easier to handle. I've been running regularly for 3 years now. When I started, I could manage 7:30 pace comfortably. About a year ago I could manage 7:14 pace comfortably, with the odd 6:30 mile thrown in. Now I can run comfortably at 6:30 pace and throw in one or two 5 min miles. I think it is all cumulative. You should try to run at a pace that is doable for you, and throw in one or two quicker ones once in a while. Eventually, your average comfortable pace will begin to get quicker. Anyway, that was my experience. One day I hope I can run sub 6 min miles consistently, but I think that will require a lot more mileage than I'm currently doing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for your help and replies.

I ran 10k today, it was very misty, and wet and i kept a fairly fast pace, with no sign of a wheeze, just a weird whistle noise, i think i may just have noisy lungs or nose.
Their was no tightness at all, would this be due to an increase in fitness or the moist air?

i dont think i have asthma if i can sustain the above without wheezing or stopping?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts