Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Just a few questions to help me get back on track after not being healthy at all for 4 years! -

I was just wondering how people planned their first running route? When I originally ran, I ran with a few people and used their route - which I think was 1.1 miles and started on a down hill, flattened out then finished on an uphill with a flat. I now live somewhere different "Southgate, Cockfosters, Palmer's Green area in north London" - I think I'm asking what advise would you give on starting and creating a route.

Also

I think theres a running club that goes through "Grovelands Park" in winchmore hill, does anyone know of this running club? or group of people? - I would like to try and join them :)

Thanks Sam

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also - How many days per a week to run and rest? thanks :p

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply - I'll check it out:p

·
Registered
298 Posts
mrstimpson said:
I was just wondering how people planned their first running route?
I am a complete soloist, and all my routes I plan using www.mapmyrun.com

After doing routes I am familier with, I then go exploring out on the run, and find new variations.

HTH

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I have no set plans when running a new route......I just go out and see where the old pins take me...when I get back I roughly calculate the distance by allowing a steady 8mins per mile. Once I've done the route a few times and got it off pat I measure it on mapmyrun.

As for how often one should run it depends on what you are aiming for...I do 5 runs a week of different intensity and distance.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Steve said:
I have no set plans when running a new route......I just go out and see where the old pins take me...when I get back I roughly calculate the distance by allowing a steady 8mins per mile.
If I run a new route, it's usually a case of starting one of my usual routes and then vearing of course to see where each different trail/road takes me - I've found a few good routes by doing this.

When I started road running, I joined a club, so I started by running the clubs routes.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
At first, I planned my routes with not going too far in mind, so I could stagger back into my house!

I like to run through woodlands and by rivers etc, so nice that I have these near me - so I now plan my routes around those, and just keep checking my Garmin to see where I'm up to, although I stick to regular routes if I'm attempting to do a fast time for 5 or 10k.

Planning can be beneficial, as today I went on a new route and just planned to run until I had done 11k (which I've not done before, 10k is the most so far) - I did a great circuit via a local lake and by the time I got back to the locality of my house, I had to keep running up and down streets to make up the last 3k I needed :rolleyes:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your replys I find it good reading how other people do it, and that link will be very useful much appreciated everyone :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
My only newbie advice is to make sure you know WHERE you're running before you start out. I started a new route that I assumed was semi flat and about 3 miles, thinking I could run and walk it. Well, fourty minutes later I was completely lost and totally frusterated because I had encountered about, oh, twenty massive hills. It took me about an hour and a twenty minutes to find my way home, running the supposed "easy" route. I mapped it out soon after and found it was over five miles, a far cry from my three! I use run.com to map my routes. It's a great tool because you can search routes other people save, even across countries, and it tells you distance how far you run. There are 148 saved user routes just for London there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts