Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, After, seven years I have decided to start Jogging again. Recently I have been suffering from Stress and Depression. My weight has increased by two stone.
I am a 38 year old male who is 5.10 weighing 14 stone.At present I am off work on antidepressants, but feel getting healthy and fit is the right way forward.
I gave up smoking 3 years ago and this im sure was a contributing factor in my weight gain.
Anyway seven years ago took up running with my brother and built up a standard of being to run 11 miles on a sunday.I entered a 10k and although i was near the back i will never forget the support you receive from fellow runners. reading a few diaries it must be great to go for a run effortlessly and take in the beautiful countryside.Knowing that you are fit and healthy must be a great feeling.
Well I am all kitted out and ready to go. I have now done two little runs, not too far, 15 minutes total. first run made my little route without stopping, 2nd time was not that motorvated and stopped and started all the way round.Shoe lace came undone and there was my reason to stop.
I am going to take the advice that is given, and take things gradual. I need support and given so hopefully i have come to the right place.Everyone has to start somewhere. It has been a long time that i was physically fit, I cannot imagine myself with a flat stomach these days but hopefully with your help it may one day achieved.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Well done! Firstly for making the decision to start again and secondly for actually going through with it.

I've been running marathons and ultras a number of years and was doing quite well until I got injured 4 months ago. My physio has just allowed me to start again and I'm only allowed to do about 2 miles, so I'm probably at a similar stage to you.

You probably know all this from when you were running before but the main thing is to listen to your body, don't build up too quickly and especially in this weather make sure you drink lots of water.

When you're ready find a beginners schedule becasue I've found that having a 'written down' mileage to do on certain days of the week helps me to stay on track.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Trinity, for taking the time to reply. One thing i do remember is that what ever level you are a,t there is great support out there amongst runners. A sort of respect for one another.
I am just starting out again so really appreciated your comments take care.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts