Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am about to start a weight loss programme, with different types of exercise, including cycling, running, swimming and rowing. Now I am fully aware that I weigh about 260lbs, which is just under 19stone. I flutuate throughout the day, due to consumption etc.

I have posted on other forums, and I always get the "Stop eating, or you will die comments". I admit I overeat, and always finish whats on my plate, instead of taking my fill. I binge drink at weekends, 12-15 pints of guinness isnt uncommon for a friday & saturday night.

I have been told by my doctor that unless I start exercising, then I will have problems and at 22, its not really something you want to hear.

I was planning on spending a few weeks, doing a light daily exercise like walking around my block for 30-45 mins. Controlling my eating, and my fluids. But what else do I need t do, to ensure I keep at it, and keep off the binge eating and drinking? Anyone got any techniques?

Thanks

Daniel

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'd would not start by reducing what you drink, but if that fizzy juice you have to replace it with water etc.

Walking is a good start, make sure you are getting your heart rate up while walking.

Do this for a few weeks then start to increase you distance or time. Not both.

After a while you could incorporate small runs into your walks, see how you go with this.

Diet only you know what you eat wrong and what you can change.

Start by looking at chocolate, crisps, chips etc and see if you could change it for something else like fruit or nuts.

And lastly stop the binge drinking!!! Have you had a test done on your liver?

Lastly YOU will only do it if YOU want to!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Welcome to RF Daniel,

I've always had the problem of having to finish what I have on my plate and I blame my Mum for that (but I suppose as she was a war baby, she was brought up in comparative poverty).

I'm sure you've heard all this before but it worked for me so there's no harm in repeating it. When I started my diet, I ate much the same food, but put it on a tea plate, this meant a lot less food but the plate would still be finished. Try cutting out snacks (especially late at night, this is one thing I haven't yet mastered), but try and eat later in the evening (as near to 7pm as possible).

Another thing that worked well for me was to cut out as much bread, pastry and cakes as I could and replace this with oranges, oranges and oranges (or satsumas). My diet lunches consisted of Tomatos, Meat (cold Chicken or Ham) and a little salad cream to help it down, but never any bread etc.

So far as exercise goes, I always burned off the calories I am due to eat for dinner. Which means that if you want to go out for a curry and a few beers, you'll need to be exercising for some considerable part of the day

Really it's about being in the right mind set and from reading your post, it seems you've got that. Best of luck with it and keep us informed

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Personally, I think reducing food intake is really really bad advice...

Especially bad for someone who is so used to eating as much as he wants...

Me, I love binge eating... Nothing better than sitting in front of the TV eating crisps... I would never reduce what I eat...

So I think everyone who says it is being unhelpful...

Being healthy is about long term changes and not short term fixes...

If you exercise often enough it doesn't really matter what you eat...

There are a lot of stupid women (sorry to be sexist) that attend 'diet classes' and think they are being really healthy by losing a few pounds by diet alone...

But no, it doesn't...

If you don't exercise then you will still be unfit whether or not your overweight or 'normal'...

You should change the food type you eat but should never never go hungry...

Spend all your effort on exercising...

And find you something else to do on friday and saturday night other than getting wasted...

Drinking yourself drunk unconscious twice every weekend is more than excessive...

Good luck !

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I know from experience that reducing the amount you drink can make all the difference. Once I stopped drinking on Friday and Saturday nights, with some hair of the dog on Sunday, I started to feel a hell of a lot better Even though I was going to the gym 3-4 times a week, the weight never came off because off the booze.

Now I make sure that I treat nights out as something to enjoy and not just an excuse to drink lots - I'll stop when I start feeling drunk and either go home or move to soft drinks. I've now found having a beer to be more enjoyable, now that I'm not just drinking it for the sake of it.

Hopefully, I don't sound like an achoholic after that.....

I also agree with Revenged that you shouldn't start eliminating everything from your diet. Just make sure you eat three healthy meals and snack on healthier options in between times, such as fruit and yoghurt.

Also, treat yourself to the odd curry and chocolate bar every so often - it will keep you motivated knowing that you deserve it after all your hard work!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
The quickest and most simple thing I can recommend is to keep a food diary... now these can get pretty complex, but if you just watch what calories are going in, and what calories are being burnt, it'll soon help you to realise how much you're overeating by.

I'm too one who struggles to leave anything on my plate - I hate to see food go to waste. Trick is to try and cook less in the first place! lol.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
A good handy tip for eating less is use a smaller plate sounds obvious but if you can't fit as much on you are likely to eat less! It has been proven as well. Another thing to try is sitting at a table away from a television to eat. This way you are eating not just shovelling on autopilot as you watch the TV.

Squint

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi mate

Do you have any medical problems as a result such as type 2 diabetic? Its probably a given that your cholesterol and blood pressure is very high! Did the doc tell you this.

I disagree an earlier post that as long as you exercise enough you can eat what you want. I thnk a healthy diet is one of the most importaint things in your life!

Make small changes to your diet such as cutting out the crap later on at night as a start then move on to most days with a treat every other day....

put less in and do a little more exercise will = weight loss and a dramatic benefit to your health

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have no medical condition. My blood pressure isnt high, its above average, but nothing over dramatic. Cholestorol, is high, but being 5 stone over my optimum weight, I guess it is a given.

I eat way too much. Ill try and eat off a smaller plate, and keep the meal regularity, so not to stave myself. Fluids, will be replaced with water. I will also treat myself to a curry, from Tesco or something, as restuarant curries, are like 3000 cals a piece lol.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Good luck with it Clampy.

Keeping us informed of you progress will be a motivation to keep up the good work.

All the best.

Dave.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Clampy said:
Cholestorol, is high, but being 5 stone over my optimum weight, I guess it is a given.
It actually isn't a given, surprisingly. I had mine tested 3 months ago when I was 4 stone over the max for my height, so probably also 5 stone over optimum. It was at a very healthy level. I was more than surprised, I was gobsmacked :huh:

Moving on, though, weight loss tips I have a-plenty. I've tried various ways of losing weight and some have been more successful than others, but I've finally tried one which has been, believe it or not, easy, painless and I'm certain the healthiest. It's taken me a long time to get here, and I'm not saying it'll definitely work for you, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

First and most important by a very long way - exercise. Four times a week in my case. Walking is a good place to start, as long as you're getting your heart rate up. Exercise is absolutely key in my book, not just because you're burning more calories and keeping/building muscle (so doing good things to your metabolism and losing fat instead of muscle), but because it makes you feel good about yourself, so you don't WANT to eat too much. You want to eat healthy food to keep feeling good about yourself.

Next, drink plenty (water or other healthy stuff, not alcohol and fizzy drinks!). It also helps keep you feeling good, which helps keep you eating healthily, ...

Rather than changing how much you're eating, start by changing what you're eating. You might find that the how much falls automatically as you're likely to eat things which fill you up more. Richard's advice about keeping a food diary is invaluable when working out what you need to change - you might actually be surprised about some things which are much worse than you thought, and others which are nowhere near as bad.

Try to prepare all your food from scratch. If you can't, then at least do it for your main meal of the day. I always admit defeat on that front where lunch is concerned, but buy soup (after checking the ingredients!) or salad or sushi, to limit the damage. If you cook from scratch, you'll know exactly what's gone into your food, and you'll find it tastes better and has less fat, salt, etc, than anything you can buy ready prepared. Make sure you eat plenty of veg, low-fat protein (beans, lentils, poultry, fish are all your friends here) and healthy carbs. Let yourself snack, just replace cake/biscuits/sweets/crisps with fruit/nuts/cereal bars*/etc. *NB, although these aren't entirely healthy, they're still a vast improvement on a bar of chocolate as they will at least fill you up a bit for slightly fewer calories. So you won't want another one 10 minutes later :p

Don't be mean to yourself. You need to enjoy the food you eat, or you'll go back to your old ways far too easily. You just need to work out what is healthy, that you don't mind preparing/cooking, and like to eat. Don't think of it as cutting out the bad things that you like, but as eating more of the good things that you like.

Actually, enjoying your food is another thing that makes a huge difference. Ask yourself, am I really enjoying eating this, or am I eating it just because it's there/because it's a habit/whatever. It'll help with the need to finish what's on your plate, and with eating through habit.

Finally, you really need to reduce the amount of alcohol you drink. It's not just the calories in the alcohol, though there are plenty of those, but if you're anything like me, you also eat much more than normal when you've had a few, and eat much less healthily too. I have no power to resist chips when I've had a couple of glasses of wine, so I have to avoid drinking wine when I'm anywhere that chips are available. Either might be OK now and then, but wine AND chips is just a bit too much! And then the hangover recovery food is never healthy either.

Blimey, I've gone on rather a long time. Feel free to ignore anything you don't believe will work for you. I've lost track of how much diet advice I've ignored, given to me by well-meaning friends who've found things that work brilliantly for them, but which I know would never work for me (not eating after 6pm - hmmmm, since I don't get home from work till past 7pm I'd be going pretty hungry :p )

·
Registered
133 Posts
Having read everything else I would just like to put my bit in too.

I have just lost 4 stone so I understand how you are feeling now. Along with everything else my advice would be

Deny yourself nothing, if you want a fizzy drink have one, just a can and make it diet.

Do not allow yourself to become hungry, thats when we start going for the rubbish.

I don't know about your domestic setup but if you don't want to eat it, don't buy it. If there needs to be goodies in the fridge (i.e kids lunchbox) label it in your mind as that persons.

If you want a Mcdonalds have it, there is half the fat in a cheeseburger happymeal with orangejuice as there is in a bigmac meal with diet coke!!!! (Just as a treat)

Personally I measure fat not calories so I fill my fridge with fat free yoghurt, nice and easy when I have let myself get hungry.

I didn't even start excersising before I lost weight so to add walking etc will be even better for you.

If you feel like you're going to have a food binge and know you're not hungry, clean your teeth. I know it sounds silly but what tastes nice after you've just done your teeth?

If you're sitting down to watch a film and want to eat ( I know I do) make your own popcorn, theres nothing in that. If you can't stand it plain then either use a little salt or when its still hot sprinkle a little iceing sugar on it.

Oh yeah, there are 170 calories in a pint of guinness. Your 12 pints is 2040, thats your entire days intake (a little less for a bloke) cut that out and you've saved yourself 2 days worth of the extra you were putting in.

Last of all, best of luck, I hope all your efforts pay off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts