Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if what I've been doing is a good idea and if I should keep doing it or do something else. The route I do is 5 miles. I run the first 2 miles without stopping then for the other 3 miles do about 1 min of walking then 4 mins of running. It takes me about 50 mins to get around. Is it ok to stick with his or should I do shorter runs then slowly build up?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
That's not a bad way of training at all.
It might be a good idea to vary what you do though...ie from the start do 4mins run then 30 secs walk, 5mins run 30 secs walk, 6mins run 30 secs walk and repeat until 5miles finished....

....or Run easy for 5mins, harder for 3 mins and then 1 min walk throughout the route

Also try changing the route....run it in reverse...run a different route...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks for the tip. I might try that next time.

How long does it usually take people to be able to get around 5 miles without a stop? I'm planning on doing the run 3 times a week. Is that about the right amount to start with?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Well that depends on all sorts of things...age, fitness, weight, commitment, time...

Running 3 times a week is fine for now...especially for a new runner wanting to do 5m.

One more tip...don't do 5m each time...do 1 run of 3m say without stopping but with a few sprints ..say 10 between lamp posts. Then do one of your normal 5m run/walks. Thirdly try going really slowly for as long as you can without stopping and then do the run/walk thing.

Joining a local club would help too.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Hi Amy... sounds like steve has taken you under his wing and offered you some sound advice :)

Don't worry about times etc at the moment, some people will take over an hour to run non-stop for 5miles, some will manage it in under 25mins!... I'd guess that the majority of the country can't do it at all... so for now just be proud of yourself for getting out the door and covering the distances, regardless of how many walk breaks you take to complete the distance, you still use the same amount of energy by the time you've gotten home as someone who could manage it in half the time! :d

1 - 5 of 5 Posts