Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right then, iv bean soaking up advice off every one here so i thought id give a little.

In the last 8 months of this application to the Royal Marines iv learnt so much about myself......and something i dont think has been touched upon here, maybe previously but not since iv been here is State of Mind.

State of mind helps us with everything, the Royal Marines hammer it into your head the day you sign those papers for interest. And iv been to hell and back so far, and my "state of mind" has developed considerably.

So state of mind, whats it about.....well you know when you feel like you have nothing left and you have so far to go.....well its the endurance that kicks in, the state of mind. The CAN DO aproach and succeed. I feel that its as importnat as pyhsical fitness.

Marine ethos - and State of mind.

Well we go by the following Commando ethos, which can be adopted by most civilians and will improve your running ability and endurance no end.

They are -
Courage
Determination
Unselfishness
Cheerfulness in the face of adversity

Courage to take on any major obstical, and be pruod about the achievements you have made and dont be ashamed to try again if you fail.

Determination - Never give up no matter how much you hurt, how much its raining. Set a goal and dont give up. Also try not to make excuses, you will know deep down inside its a excuse.

Unselfishness - There will be those in your running groups who struggle.....it speaks for your self, the next time it might be you.

Cheerfulness in the face of adversity - We have all had it when its raining, cold, your shins kill, your face hurts and the lad at the back is keeping you from watching your favourite team - running can be a team sport enjoy what your doing and help others enjoy it. I like making little dittos when the tough gets tougher.... just like.....

"there once was a marine called Turley, his bollocks were hairy and curly. He went to afghanistan to kill the taliban, and that was the marine called Turley"

The people in my running group think im insane but it doesnt half boost spirit.

So how can you develop your State of Mind and become a happier and more succesfull runner -

Well here some of the tips the marines advocate -

1. Get motivated about what you want to achieve the second you get up.

2. Cut down on bad habbits, smoking, drinking, fatty foods, etc

3. Focus on short term goals, then the long term will come in good time.

4. Try and be as self reliant as possible, try and learn to push yourself. ( i find getting some one to drop you off in remote place and getting yourself back in a set time is a good one)

5. Dont rest on your laurels, always try and go one step further.

6. Focus on what you can achieve, not what you cant.

7. Self belief.....you are always more capable than you think, god way to build this is to find your local climbing wall. Its amazing what you can achieve when there is a risk you may fall.

8. Share your concerns with your group or partners, its better to work as ateam on things than alone.

I know this is long wonded and millitary drven, but this will help so many of you when training for marathons, trying to lose weight, or even trying to break that first 10k.

Your state of mind is by far more powerfull than your body.

I hope this helps!

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Stacka said:
Right then, iv bean soaking up advice off every one here so i thought id give a little.

In the last 8 months of this application to the Royal Marines iv learnt so much about myself......and something i dont think has been touched upon here, maybe previously but not since iv been here is State of Mind.

State of mind helps us with everything, the Royal Marines hammer it into your head the day you sign those papers for interest. And iv been to hell and back so far, and my "state of mind" has developed considerably.

So state of mind, whats it about.....well you know when you feel like you have nothing left and you have so far to go.....well its the endurance that kicks in, the state of mind. The CAN DO aproach and succeed. I feel that its as importnat as pyhsical fitness.

Marine ethos - and State of mind.

Well we go by the following Commando ethos, which can be adopted by most civilians and will improve your running ability and endurance no end.

They are -
Courage
Determination
Unselfishness
Cheerfulness in the face of adversity

Courage to take on any major obstical, and be pruod about the achievements you have made and dont be ashamed to try again if you fail.

Determination - Never give up no matter how much you hurt, how much its raining. Set a goal and dont give up. Also try not to make excuses, you will know deep down inside its a excuse.

Unselfishness - There will be those in your running groups who struggle.....it speaks for your self, the next time it might be you.

Cheerfulness in the face of adversity - We have all had it when its raining, cold, your shins kill, your face hurts and the lad at the back is keeping you from watching your favourite team - running can be a team sport enjoy what your doing and help others enjoy it. I like making little dittos when the tough gets tougher.... just like.....

"there once was a marine called Turley, his bollocks were hairy and curly. He went to afghanistan to kill the taliban, and that was the marine called Turley"

The people in my running group think im insane but it doesnt half boost spirit.

So how can you develop your State of Mind and become a happier and more succesfull runner -

Well here some of the tips the marines advocate -

1. Get motivated about what you want to achieve the second you get up.

2. Cut down on bad habbits, smoking, drinking, fatty foods, etc

3. Focus on short term goals, then the long term will come in good time.

4. Try and be as self reliant as possible, try and learn to push yourself. ( i find getting some one to drop you off in remote place and getting yourself back in a set time is a good one)

5. Dont rest on your laurels, always try and go one step further.

6. Focus on what you can achieve, not what you cant.

7. Self belief.....you are always more capable than you think, god way to build this is to find your local climbing wall. Its amazing what you can achieve when there is a risk you may fall.

8. Share your concerns with your group or partners, its better to work as ateam on things than alone.

I know this is long wonded and millitary drven, but this will help so many of you when training for marathons, trying to lose weight, or even trying to break that first 10k.

Your state of mind is by far more powerfull than your body.

I hope this helps!

Amen to that Stacka! The only bit i struggle with is the teamwork ethic .It's just the way i am always has been . I don't mind helping others,not so good recieving help though .

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its something you may benefit from.....sometimes if you take help, you may find it ups your game. A team allways works better

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thank you for sharing that, you've certainly given me a lot to think about.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tortoise said:
Thank you for sharing that, you've certainly given me a lot to think about.
Your welcome, ill post some more when i get time.

Your life is all about the state of mind, everything you do will efect your state of mind.

I came from a massive motorbike accident last year. GSXR meets transit van! I was mess, but iv got myself to the point where by in a few months ill be starting mainstream Royal Marine training. This is simply because i was so determined not to lie down and get beaten.....all through state of mind.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Great post stacka... State of mind and general mental attitutude is something I've fancied looking further into for a while - as you mention, the power of the mind really is something pretty awesome!

Thanks again for your post, certainly something to think about, and I'll certainly enjoy reading anything else you may have to add on the matter :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
your welcome, im really interested in the matter myself.

Hopefully, when im a big boy and come to the point when im ready to leave the marines. Ill become a life coach. Id love to help people with low self esteem to get going again.

Id also like to deal with the little brats and turn the thug culture around.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Good thread...

Nice work...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Stacka said:
Id also like to deal with the little brats and turn the thug culture around.
Bring back national service! :cool:

·
Registered
298 Posts
This kind of says what Trinity stated in the "Negative thoughts" thread:

Trinity said:
If you give the negative messages air time then they will affect the chemistry in you body and become self fulfilling. Your mind is an incredibly powerful tool that can act against you if you allow it, but also give you amazing success if you think positively

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BASE813 said:
Bring back national service! :cool:
No way!!!!! It would be Marines like me, putting my life in even more risk to keep the scally's out of trouble in a combat situation.

Could you imagine!!! lol

Thats what the Army is for.......sorry bit of inter service rivalry there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts